Chapter 9

<Gage Grant POV>

"What Patton?" I asked, closing my locker.

"What's wrong? You seem sad." He asked as we headed to class.

"Nothing, let's just go to class." I said.

Patton had held off killing anyone once I came from when we first met dad's girlfriend. He knew something was wrong and spent 7 months trying to figure it out.

I cut Xavier off though, if he didn't want to believe me, so be it. His life. If you couldn't figure it out by now, Patton and I are in 11th grade, Juniors.

"Patton?" I asked sitting down.

"Yes?" He answered immediately

"Why did you stop hurting people?" I asked bluntly.

He stopped and stared at me for a second, "You seemed sad after we first met Maggie, so I wanted to wait until you felt better...Was that not right?" He asked, confused.

"It's fine, just wondering." I said resting my head on my palm.

"I can pick it up if you want, I know you don't want me to pry. If you say you're ok, I'll carry on with my duties." He said smiling softly.

"Don't Patton. Just stick to animals, no one's bothering me, I promise." I said lightly patting his head, to which he smiled gratefully.

"If you say so, that doesn't mean I will put down my defense for you though." He said turning to the teacher who came in.

"I didn't expect it to go down." I whispered.

Class went on and I sat at the lunch table where Gregory already sat, "Hey Gregory." I said setting my bag down.

"Hey, where's Patton?" He asked

"He said he was turning in some extra work." I explained sighing.

"Hey, what's up with you? You seem more sad than usual." He said eating some leftover mac and cheese.

"Nothing." I said sighing again, looking around I saw Xavier looking at me. We sometimes made eye contact, but nothing of it.

"I know it's none of my business, but what happened with you and Xavier? It's been a while, but I thought something was going on." He asked

"We had different ideas on things." I said not going into much detail.

"So there's nothing? No left over feelings?" He asked

"Nothing." I said setting a container that held a sandwich.

Patton sat down at the table and acknowledged Gregroy's presence. They're not the best of friends, but they're better than 7 months ago.

Getting up to use the bathroom I felt a presence behind me, "Patton, I can go to the bathroom myself-" I said turning around but only saw a girl.

"Oh, sorry. I thought you were someone else." I said turning back around to go to the bathroom.

"Wait." She said and grabbed my arm. Shaking my arm from her grip I looked back at her, "What?" I asked

"Is it true you think your friend killed Lily?" She asked, taking me by surprise.

"Who the hell told you that?" I asked, staring her down.

"Xavier." She said plainly, "So is it true?" She asked

"Fuck off." I said turning away from her.