Part 1 | Chapter 9

"You're here to tell me that you got partnered up with the Matteo for a year-long project?" Danica exaggerated while painting her nails on the floor while I lie on my back, my head having from the desk

"I mean, I don't know why he is so mean to me! I don't even know him."

"Well, Evie, one thing you have to learn is he's quite the guy, " she laughs and I fight my urge to throw a pillow at her.

That's quite an understatement. I just spent my whole drive back here first the lump in my throat because I knew I was about to cry. If there's one thing I know about him it's that he knows exactly how to belittle someone. Makes me wonder what he finds most interesting in philosophy when he doesn't have a heart.

"Don't take it to heart, he's always that mean to people."

"Not a proper excuse for me to just stop fighting," I tell her and she laughs.

"You always manage to make everything sound so dramatic, "

I groan at her response and stared at the ceiling, deep in thought.

I'm not just what you think of me. That's what I should've said when I had the chance. Letting him walk away with the last laugh is probably one of the most regretful things I have ever done. He didn't deserve that victory. I'm just not so used to confrontation.

I grew up in a small town in Nashville before we moved to LA. Everyone knew who I was and vice verse. No one was so mean or so nice, they were all human. I thought that if they can maintain that then everyone could. All of that was the reason why I have a very high tolerance for people's dark attitudes. I'm always optimistic which made romantic films seem so realistic to me.

I never expected that the one day that would change was because of a green-eyed boy with piercings and tattoos.

It feels insulting actually that suddenly I meet him and things shift from one to another. He's a disgrace to men and that's quite a title to hold.

"Really, believe me, once you get to know him then it wouldn't be as bad." She shrugged, fishing at her beautiful pink nails and I sat up to grab my phone and scroll through Instagram. The same boring feed shows itself again and not even a few seconds pass and I'm already throwing my phone down to the bed.

Perhaps I'm way too worried about Matteo. He's a poison to my mind so I don't really blame myself for being quite occupied by him. But I need to clear my head.

I got off of my bed and headed to my closet to get changed into my sports gear.

When my mind is full I like to go on a hike or run. Running seemed like a proper metaphor when it comes to me dealing with problems, for the most parts at least.

"Going somewhere?" Danica asked.

"I'm going for a run, you coming?" I offered while picking up my shoes.