Part 1 | Chapter 18

"So no party tonight then?" Cade asked with much expectation while we sit in the library, busy revising our topic this morning

Fortunately, when Matteo came in it's like he didn't know we existed. Perhaps the few glances he took begged to differ but I'd prefer that any day than when he's sitting by me, inches closer. I survived that lesson without error and my mind still intact. The rest of the day should be a breeze.

"Since freshman, I've never gone to a party. Never been allowed, never planned to go," I said, flipping through a book, "the only time I can was when Axel invited me and inevitably became the worst decision of my life."

"Admittedly yes, but you could have serious fun if you come with decent people, exhibit a." He points to himself proudly, winking while doing so and I laugh at his dorkiness.

"I agree, you are a decent person but still." I frowned, "I'm not about to spend another minute with those people—especially you know who."

He pouts like a child at the end of a playdate and I mocked him trying to prove my point.

That party might have been cursed and it would take me millions to believe that it wasn't. From satan himself being there, I think that whatever followed became a staple for my long list of misfortune. Thank God for philosophy books and anatomical diagrams; somethings that get me distracted.

Maybe not as distracted as I'd like though.

"Pssst, " I hear Cade and I look up to him, midway into a passage. "Sorry to rain on your parade but Hurricane Jocelyn is about to cut off jugular."

I roll my eyes at him but his eyes were only focused behind me where I assume the hurricane is.

Great. Speaking of curses.

"For one, hurricanes don't cut jugulars and two, what could—"

"Hey, guys, thought I might find you here. Smart ones always end in libraries." Jocelyn's pitched voice breaks through our little bubble and I find myself annoyed at just the sight.

From the fishnet stockings that ride up to her belly to the barely capable tank top she dawns; she didn't look like someone who comes to libraries for fun. If I'm to deal with whatever troubles she's brought for me then I'd gladly just leave.

She and I didn't really have a particularly good start, however, I distinctly remember her being nice at least once. It could highly be alcohol in her system then but either circumstance would deem it as suspicious. 

"You definitely aren't invited to this party," Cade announced, dramatically moving his books away from her as though she was some kind of reaper and I had to fight the urge to laugh.

"Oh shut up bitch boy." She glared, "you slept with me remember?"

Cade's eyes widened and so did mine but the reddened hue on his cheeks made it funny to the point where I'm fighting my own laughter. Frat boys who have an agenda of being nice really are hilarious sometimes. I mean there must have been a ton of things they've done to get them in trouble and they'd be damned to share that to anyone.