Part 2 | Chapter 5

"Keep it, " she said, "you might learn a thing or two

"Keep it, " she said, "you might learn a thing or two."

I watched as she walked away in a hurry, disappearing around the corner and her book in my hand. Clenching my jaw, I flipped the pages again as if expecting to find something but to no avail. She just left this with me for the hell of it.

What the fuck just happened?

All I know is I felt her lips. That's it. Soft and plump was what they felt like and for a moment when they touched mine it felt right; like it was meant to be there.

Don't get me wrong, I've kissed many girls in my life- that wasn't even a kiss. It was a simple act of kindness, a touch but it felt like something more. She wanted it to, I saw it but like the girl she is, she pulls away and left me hanging.

Left me? Hanging?

Who put a spell on me to possibly feel as though I've just been rejected? It's the way she teased it, how she wanted it the same way I did but pulled away. I didn't fight her though. Her tear-stained cheeks and bloodshot eyes were enough to tell me that she hasn't had a good day and I'm not going to make it worse.

Perhaps it's the minuscule guilt that lived in me ever since she finally confronted me. Or maybe it's the interest I had when I saw her on the phone. There's a reason why I came to her. I saw her walk in here with nothing but this book and her fate. I followed her and almost walked away but then I saw her cry. Not even thinking much about it, I stayed. Do I regret it? Who knows?

It didn't help that I found her whole reasoning to be rather ridiculous but the way she put it made it seem like hell for her. Who would've known that such a perfect girl had demons in her head as everyone else did (note the sarcasm)?

I sighed and finally got up knowing that if I dwelled on what happened then I'm gonna be here all day. It's not like I'm not gonna be consumed by it for the next couple of days.

I lifted the book to a shelf because I know that I won't be reading it anyway. Then, I saw how worn out it was.

I frowned at the crumpled pages, the scratched cover, and the little handwriting in them. Highlights peeked through the arching pages from being opened too many times. The creases on the spine and the folded flaps off of the top. This book was loved. I doubt it fits with department books.

"Damn it, " I groaned and left the library with the book in my hand.

Maybe I can finally get some reading in if I tried to. If this book is as destroyed as I am then who's to say it's not as interesting? I mean, she read it.

 If this book is as destroyed as I am then who's to say it's not as interesting? I mean, she read it