Part 2 | Chapter 2

"I'm starting to think people here are less formal than I had imagined," Henry commented as we watched Matteo walk away, knocking down a bin in the process

"No, some people just don't care," I remarked with honesty.

By some people I mean Matteo. I have to say though, despite his never-changing temper issues, having these three weeks to myself has been a treat. No worrying about angry men or drunken parties. The most I had to deal with was Jocelyn and even that wasn't bad.

She stayed true to her words. Never once did she force me to a party like Danica and we hung out at the local cafe about three times that week. She wasn't that bad, not when she's not high at least. I got to know her a little. I found out she was an art major and that she loved paintings and any type of art anyway. I admitted that I never imagined her to be interested in such calm acts but she said neither did she. It's quite fascinating to see that side of her.

Because of the success of that week, we agreed to be mutual friends of Danica. We don't plan on doing everything together but I guess she liked the idea of not having bad blood every time she saw me. That went well and I couldn't be happier. Despite Cade's constant reminder of her risks, one of them is that if my parents found out, they would definitely kick me out. Regardless, he agreed to stay civil and not constantly fight with her and I appreciated him even more for it.

"So." Henry cleared his throat, "Jackson said we've got an open evening to look into on Saturday. So you think it'll be worth it?"

"I'm not the one who makes the calls, he does." I laughed and he does too. If only he knew how adorable I find his laughter to be.

"Well, he's a senior and he's looking at you to take over leads right after. You definitely should be on that rank,"

"I know but right now I've got bigger things to worry about, "

"Like, Med school and work experience." I took a bite of my sandwich, "I haven't heard from the University yet and I'm starting to think that my shadowing program has been scratched. That's one of a kind and without it, my parents would fry me. Then my medicine chances are shaved off."

He steals a fry from my plate and I swat his hand away a little too late.

"With a girl who listens to the first-hand emergency accounts before going to sleep...I doubt you'd lose that job." He winked and I chuckled.

Henry is one of the good ones. He's always smiling, his dry humor makes him a perfect company and his support is unmatched. He's like a little angel dropped from heaven. I'm glad he found me just as interesting as I found him; enough to agree hanging out with me. When Cade isn't around, he's the one I'm with and I've got no complaints about it.

I like speaking about how he's family burnt a whole turkey on Thanksgiving or how he tripped over the hallway in kindergarten before telling his crush about his feelings. We got personal. I spoke about my endless work and he spoke about his fun travels during his gap year. I told him about my parents and he tells me about how they're horrible. It's a lovely company to have and with times like these, with exams just finished, I needed that.