Chapter 1 - The Letter

"All big things come from small beginnings,"

Isabella's background story is a rather complicated one. I could write in great detail about all the things that have influenced her life, but to save your patience and mine I have decided to summarise it for you. I should probably start from the beginning- that is where most stories start after all.

When Isabella was little it was clear that she was different. It was clear that she wasn't exactly "normal". Now, usually, I don't like using the word 'normal' because who the hell knows what Normal really is? But I can confidently say that whatever normal is, Isabella definitely wasn't it.

Isabella's mother knew this, of course. She'd be stupid not to notice the abnormality of her own daughter. No, she knew alright, she knew ever since her daughter was just a baby. How could she not? 

There was a strong sense of unusuality about the small girl and yet to the eye, she seemed perfectly regular. The little girl just seemed to radiate something you couldn't quite put your finger on. Something odd. Bizarre things seemed to happen whenever the child was around. At first, these small things were normal enough not to cause worry but weird enough to not be normal -  if that makes sense.

Of course, Isabella's mother knew deep down what was happening, but she tried her very hardest to deny the obvious. However, this denial one day had to stop. That day was when Isabella was just five years old. Her mother had walked into Isabella's room one day and saw something astoundingly extraordinary. 

Frankly, she was more amazed than terrified. She couldn't wrap her head around it, her daughter was just a toddler, she hadn't even started school yet, so how on earth did she have the power to do this?

Little Isabella was sitting oblivious to her mother's gobsmacked face. She sat on the polished wooden floor with all her toys, her long wavy hair scraped back into pigtails, and her mouth curved into a sweet, joyful smile. The little girl seemed to be having a lot of fun and she didn't even notice her mother looking at her with a mixture of disbelief and confusion.

There was nothing abnormal-looking about the girl herself, the anomaly was her toys. There were all floating and hovering about five inches off of the ground. The teddy bear, the barbie doll, the coloring book - none of the toys were touching the floor.

In an instant, a whirlwind of worries and thoughts crossed Isabella's mother's mind. What if people found out? What if they tried to take her away? She wouldn't have that, not after everything that had happened, not after all her hard work

No.

She decided then and there that Isabella was to be kept inside to make sure her powers weren't accidentally discovered. She would be educated at home, normal school would only provide an opportunity for slip-ups or accidental magic.