Chapter 15 - The Man with two faces

"Patience is for people who don't know how to get what they want," 

It was Quirrell.

"Well I'll be damned," I murmured. "Who would've seen this coming?" I said sarcastically, turning to Harry, who ignored me.

"You!" gasped Harry. Quirrell was smiling like a sociopath. And I noticed that all of a sudden his face wasn't twitching at all.

"Me," he said calmly. "I wondered whether I'd be meeting you here, Potter. Jenkins though you were a surprise, I didn't think you'd make it this far,"

"Thanks," I mumbled sarcastically.

"But I thought -- Snape --" Harry stated but he was cut off.

"Severus?" Quirrell laughed, and it wasn't his usual quivering treble, either, but cold and sharp.

"Yes, Severus does seem the type, doesn't he? So useful to have him swooping around like an overgrown bat. Next to him, who would suspect p-p-poor, st-stuttering P-Professor Quirrell?"

"Er, me?" I said flatly. Sure I was a little scared on the inside but I wasn't about to let the freak know that. Both Harry and Qurriell ignored me.

"But Snape tried to kill me!" Harry said desperately.

"No, no, no. I tried to kill you. Your friend Miss Granger accidentally knocked me over as she rushed to set fire to Snape at that Quidditch match. She broke my eye contact with you. Another few seconds and I'd have got you off that broom. I'd have managed it before then if Snape hadn't been muttering a countercurse, trying to save you."

"Snape was trying to save me?" Harry asked.

"Of course..." I said putting it all together. "Why do you think he wanted to referee our next match? He was trying to make sure you didn't do it again. Funny, really... he needn't have bothered. You couldn't do anything with Dumbledore watching," I said the corners of my mouth coming into a slight smirk. Quirrell seemed to notice and narrowed his eyes at me.

"You let the troll in, didn't you?" I said raising an eyebrow.

"Very good Jenkins, yes," Qurriell said to me. It sounded as though he didn't expect me to figure it out so easily.

"Snape, unfortunately, wasn't fooled. Whilst everyone else was running about the dungeon, he went to the third floor to head me off. He of course never trusted me again. He barely left me alone, he doesn't understand, I'm never alone, never." Qurriell said speaking the last sentence to himself like a lunatic.

Qurriell turned away from us. I only just realised that behind Quirrell stood the Mirror of Erised.

"Now," Qurriell started, "What does this Mirror do? I see what I desire, I see myself holding the stone. But how do I get it?!" Qurriell said in a voice laced with anger.