Chapter 7 - The Potions master

"You don't know me, you only know what I allow you to know,"

I woke up early the next morning. I looked around sleepily to see that all of the other girls in my dormitory were still asleep. I quietly got out of bed and made my way toward the bathroom. The dormitory bathroom had four private shower cubicles along with four separate basins and mirrors.
After my shower, I did my hair and slid on my robes. Grabbing my bag, which was filled with my school books and equipment, I left the dormitories. Apart from a couple of students, the common room was empty so I made my way out of the common room and down to breakfast. 

I had finished reading Hogwarts: A History already and apparently there were a hundred and forty-two staircases at Hogwarts: wide, sweeping ones; narrow, rickety ones; some that led somewhere different on a Friday; some with a vanishing step halfway up that you had to remember to jump. Then there were doors that wouldn't open unless you asked politely, or tickled them in exactly the right place, and doors that weren't really doors at all, but solid walls just pretending. I found that it was also very hard to remember where anything was because it all seemed to move around a lot.

The ghosts didn't help, either. It was always a nasty shock when one of them glided suddenly through a door you were trying to open. Luckily, Nearly Headless Nick was always happy to point new Gryffindors in the right direction, which was very useful as most of the time I had no idea where I was going. Ron also told me and Harry more about Peeves the Poltergeist, From what his brothers had told him, Peeves was worth two locked doors and a trick staircase if you met him when you were late for class. He would drop wastepaper baskets on students' heads, pull rugs from under people's feet, pelt people with bits of chalk, or sneak up behind students, invisible, grab your nose, and screech, "GOT YOUR CONK!" 

Fortunately, I hadn't run into him yet.

Ron also told us that someone even worse than Peeves, if that was possible, was the caretaker, Argus Filch. The Weasley twins managed to get on the wrong side of him in their first year, not that I found this shocking because I gathered they were quite the trouble makers. Filch owned a cat called Mrs Norris, a scrawny, dust-colored creature with bulging, lamp-like eyes just like Filch's. Ron said that the twins told him she patrolled the corridors alone. Break a rule in front of her, put just one toe out of line, and she'd whisk off for Filch, who'd appear, wheezing, two seconds later. I guessed Filch knew of secret passageways in the school better than anyone (except perhaps the Weasley twins) and could pop up as suddenly as any of the ghosts. I once again gathered that all the students hated him, and it was the dearest ambition of many to give Mrs Norris a good kick.

Finally, after asking a few portraits along the way, I reached the Great hall. Around half of the students were already there, mostly from older years. I made my way to the Gryffindor table and sat down. I started to fill my plate with bacon and eggs when two identical ginger boys sat in front of me. I looked up to see the Weasley twins clearly in a heavy discussion, not noticing me yet I managed to catch some of the conversations.