Chapter 6 - The Sorting

"Why are you taking life so seriously? No one makes it out alive,"

Leaving our luggage behind, Harry, Ron, and I made our way through the very crowded train and out onto the Platform

Leaving our luggage behind, Harry, Ron, and I made our way through the very crowded train and out onto the Platform. As soon as we exited the train a booming familiar voice sounded throughout the sea of children.

"First years! First years over here! All right there, Harry, Isabella?" Hagrid said, beaming at me and Harry over the heads of the many first years.

"Is that everyone? Alright then, follow me!" Slipping and stumbling, we all followed Hagrid down a narrow path. I stepped over the twigs and stones, praying I didn't break an ankle.

"You'll get your first sight of Hogwarts in a minute!" Hagrid said. After a few minutes of walking, there was a loud "Ooooh" As we finally saw the large castle that had many different towers and windows. It was beautiful and elegant with a vast amount of land surrounding it.

"Wouldn't want to clean it," I murmured to Harry and Ron with a lopsided smile, they sniggered in reply. After a few more minutes of walking the path opened out onto the edge of a great black lake.

"No more than four to a boat!" Hagrid said pointing to a fleet of boats that were sitting in the water by the shore. Harry, Ron, and I got into a boat and were joined by Hermione.

"Everyone in?" Hagrid asked, "Right then FORWARD!" he shouted, causing the boats to move across the lake. 

Once we had safely crossed the lake we all got out of the boats and Hagrid led us to a big, oak door. He lifted a giant fist and knocked on the door three times. The door swung open at once revealing Professor McGonagall.

"The first years, Professor McGonagall," said Hagrid.

"Thank you, Hagrid. I will take them from here." Hagrid nodded and left after giving me and Harry a final smile and a discreet thumbs-up.

"Welcome to Hogwarts. The start-of-term banquet will begin shortly. But before you take your seats in the great hall you will be sorted into your houses. They are Griffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin. While you are here, your house will be like your family, you will have classes with your house, sleep in your house dormitory's and free time will be spent in your house common rooms. Your triumphs will earn you points, any rule-breaking and you will lose points, at the end of the year the house with the most points will win the house cup-"

"Trever!" a boy who I assumed was probably Neville, shouted grabbing a toad that was near McGonagall's feet. McGonagall gave him a disapproving look. 

"Sorry," Neville mumbled scampering back to his space in the crowd. There was a series of snickers throughout the crowd and I looked at the boy with slight sympathy as his face turned red.