Chapter 8 - First Flying Lesson

"I'll get over it, I just have to be dramatic first,"

I woke up later than usual the next morning, got dressed, and headed down into the common room. I saw many first-year Gryffindors, including Harry and Ron, gathered around the notice board, I went closer so I could see what they were all looking at.

FLYING PRACTICE WILL START TODAY

Gryffindor students will share this class with the Slytherin house first years.---

I stopped reading after that and Harry, Ron, and I headed down to breakfast. 

"Typical," said Harry darkly. "Just what I always wanted. To make a fool of myself on a broomstick in front of Malfoy." 

I thought that Harry was stressing way too much about this and that everything would be fine, personally, I was looking forward to flying classes with the Slytherins, maybe then I can finally thank Blaise for standing up to Snape for me.

"You don't know that you'll make a fool of yourself," said Ron reasonably. "Anyway, I know Malfoy's always going on about how good he is at Quidditch, but I bet that's all talk."

I noticed Malfoy certainly did talk about flying a lot. He complained loudly about first years never getting on the house Quidditch teams and told long, boastful stories that always seemed to end with him narrowly escaping Muggles in helicopters. He wasn't the only one, though: the way Seamus Finnigan told us, he'd spent most of his childhood zooming around the countryside on his broomstick. Even Ron would tell anyone who'd listen about the time he'd almost hit a hang glider on Charlie's old broom. Everyone from wizarding families talked about Quidditch constantly, which made me just want to go to flying lessons more. It all seemed very exciting.

Just as the three of us sat down at Gryffindor's table, a barn owl brought Neville a small package from his grandmother. He opened it excitedly and showed us a glass ball the size of a large marble, which seemed to be full of white smoke.

"It's a Remembrall!" he explained. "Gran knows I forget things -- this tells you if there's something you've forgotten to do. Look, you hold it tight like this, and if it turns red -- oh..." His face fell because the Remembrall had suddenly glowed scarlet,

"I've forgotten something..." Neville said worriedly.

"Your cloak Neville, don't worry I'm sure the teacher will let you off," I said waving my hand dismissively. Neville quickly looked down at himself and quickly realized that he had indeed forgotten his cloak and that only his dark grey jumper adorned his body.

"I'll go get it just in case," Neville said, but before he could leave, Draco Malfoy, who was passing the Gryffindor table, snatched the Remembrall out of his hand.