06

three years ago

three years ago

minji looked around the detention room, only to find out that she was the only one sent on a detention today. she was caught chewing a gum in the middle of the class. doing something aside from listening really irked their teacher at that time, resulting to that teacher yelling at her and punishing her with detention even though she really didn't violate a school rule.

she occupied a seat and placed her bag on the desk to hug it. she looked like an innocent child, not someone who likes being in trouble. minji closed her eyes as she wait for the facilitator.

the door bursted open, revealing huang renjun who's loosening his tie as he make his way inside the room. minji was surprised when she opened her eyes. she thought renjun took a break from facilitating detention that's why she went there without questions.

"you're alone?" renjun asked her without looking into her eyes.

she only nodded and hummed. usually, she would talk back and say "can you see anyone else?" but after that incident, she felt awkward with renjun. not like she was friends with him before that happened but she could always clap back at his words, unlike now.

renjun cleared his throat, "what's your offense?"

"chewing a gum on mrs. kang's class," she deadpanned, thinking that the reason was really absurd.

"wow," renjun, too, thought that the reason was too shallow for a detention. "mrs. kang is really unreasonable sometimes."

it was the first time minji heard renjun talked bad about a teacher. he's one of the school's prefect so he's expected to be a model in both grades and attitude. but minji knew that renjun was just a normal person after all, he can say whatever he wanted to say.

renjun finally had the courage to look at her, "there's really nothing to do. you can do whatever you want but you have to stay here for two hours. i'll be monitoring you."

minji nodded and proceeded to take out her notes to review for their exam in math tomorrow. she was trying to solve a word problem when she heard renjun called her name.

she looked up to see renjun who's scratching the back of his neck. "about what happened the other night," he bit his lip when in worry. "i'm sorry i got too carried away."

minji stared at paper while she unconsciously wrote dots on it, "it's okay. i'm sorry, i also got caught up in the moment."

they instantly became silent again so minji tried to focus on her notes. she was trying to solve a problem for the third time but her answer was still wrong.

"that's it, i think i'm done studying for today," renjun heard minji muttered under her breath which made the boy chuckle.

he decided to tease the girl to lighten the atmosphere, "you barely even looked at your notes, though?"

"watch me perfect my exam tomorrow," she held her chin up, challenging renjun.

"let's have a bet?"

minji thought for a moment before speaking, "if i scored a hundred percent on my test tomorrow, you should make a wish of mine come true."

"but if you had at least one mistake, you need to make my wish come true," renjun smirked at her. minji is a genius and he knows that he will lose on their bet but he won't back down. he wanted them to get closer and he thought that this was a perfect opportunity.

minji seemed like she was fired up as she continued studying again. renjun noticed her annoyed face so he slowly walked towards her and looked at her paper. minji tore her eyes from her scratch to look at renjun, confused as to why he suddenly walked near her.

"i think you should write secant x as one over cosine x to eliminate the other side," renjun pointed at her solution, making minji look at what he pointed and solve for it again.

minji finally came up with the right answer so she smiled at renjun, thanking him, "you're right! i didn't notice that."

it was the first time renjun saw minji smiled at her widely. she's one of the school's troublemaker and she always had worn a poker face. but renjun knew minji wasn't a bad person after all, she just do whatever she thinks is right in her own way.

seeing minji being geniunely happy brought a smile to his face. "pretty," he unconsciously muttered.

minji stared at renjun for a while before looking away. she stood up and fixed her things. "time's up. i'm gonna go now," she coldly told renjun before walking away quickly outside the room.

this is bad, minji closed her eyes and shook her head in attempt to erase the image of renjun smiling at her but it only made her heart beat faster.