08

three years ago

three years ago

minji's world turned into shambles. her family and chaeyoung were her everything. she might be overthinking but she knows that she's one step closer on losing her world.

her parents fought a lot these past months and their latest argument was the worst, her mother even brought up divorce during the fight. she knew jaemin lied, it's not gonna be fine. nothing is going to be fine.

she was busy thinking about what will happen to her family, to jaemin, to chaeyoung, to renjun... to her friends that she didn't even realize that renjun enveloped her in a tight, comforting hug. when she felt renjun caressed her hair, she began crying again. she knew renjun was just trying to comfort her but she couldn't help but to feel hurt by his touch. she couldn't do anything for him yet he's willing to do everything for her. she hates herself for being too messed up for him.

"you should go back to your classes, huang," minji was planning on skipping classes and there is no way she's taking renjun with him. helping him maintain his clean school records is the least she could do for him. she was worried that she was tainting his image.

however, renjun doesn't. he knew that the council will scold him for not attending a class, especially when he's supposed to be an exemplary to the students. renjun's mind right now is focused on making minji feel at least a little bit better, "i'm craving for a hotpot."

minji became confused, "that's so random. and there's no hotpot in the cafeteria."

"who said we will eat in the cafeteria?"

minji didn't expect renjun to skip classes. the vice president of the student council who's in charge of detention, clean disciplinary record, straight a grades and a bonus of good looks. minji didn't expect this from renjun at all. especially when he led the way out of their campus without getting caught by the guards.

"you're a fucking expert," minji amusingly told renjun which caused her to receive a glare from the boy. "don't ever think about skipping classes and using that way," he warned her.

she could only roll her eyes at renjun. obviously, renjun doesn't want to be a bad influence to minji. to their dismay, the nearest hotpot restaurant was closed so renjun decided to take her somewhere elese. although minji still doesn't know where would the boy take her, she just followed him because after all, she wanted distractions.

renjun stopped on his tracks as he squeezed minji's hand that he was holding the entire time to signal that they already arrive at their destination. minji awed as she scanned a two-story modern rustic styled house. the house somehow felt warm to her but at the same time, it was kinda obvious that no one was currently living in the house.

renjun pulled minji to a spacious room inside the house, "this used to be my grandparents' house when they lived in korea."

"we weren't ready to move in here yet, but i go here from time to time to relax," he added while he picks up some paints and brushes on the ground.

minji roamed her eyes around the large room. there are lots of painting materials scattered on the ground and canvases with painted image leaning on the wall. minji gaped at the sight. renjun really never fails to amuse her. "you paint?"

"it's been my hobby since i was a child. do you want to watch me paint?"

"i'd love to."

as she watch him paint, a question suddenly popped in her mind, "i thought you told jaemin that you'll take engineering, why do i feel like you want to pursue art?"

it was the first time someone has really noticed renjun's passion for art. with his unquestionable intelligence, people around him tend to assume that he'll either take engineering or medicine courses.

"my mom wanted to have an engineer son," he quietly confessed. "i want to make her proud."

"have you talked about it with your mom?" renjun shook his head, he didn't have the courage to talk to his mom about his dreams. "i understand you, but don't you think she'd be prouder if her son will pursue something he wanted to do the most?"

renjun continued to paint while minji awed at his work, "you're really great, i hope to see you hold an art convention soon."

he felt his ears turned into crimson, he really gets shy when someone compliments him, especially when it's minji. "i'm afraid i'm not an expert when it comes to portraits. can i take a photo of you instead?"

"you're doing great, though?"

renjun suddenly held a polaroid camera in front of minji. flustered, she quickly blocked the camera lens with her hand, resulting to renjun intertwining their hands to stop minji from blocking the camera. but unlucky for him, minji has a free hand to use.

"minji-ah stop it, i only have one film left," renjun pouted, making minji hesitate but she still covered the lens with her hand.

minji stuttered as she confessed on why she didn't want to take a photo, "can't we take it next time? i cried today, my flaws are super obvious right now-"

"i like everything about you, minji."

as the shutter sound was heard, minji's hand only covered a quarter of the lens, displaying her bright smile caused by renjun's words. and as soon as renjun placed down the camera, minji closed her eyes as she felt renjun's hand going up to hold her face before claiming her lips.

the kiss was passionate and sweet, it felt like they were both waiting for this moment to happen. minji felt her worries being washed away, allowing herself to melt by renjun's touch. he could taste minji's cherry flavored chapstick, just like his type, as he smiled in between the kisses.

he pulled away from the kiss but their foreheads were touching, "we'll get through this together, i promise you."

as they walk home, hand in hand, minji started to think about chaeyoung again. how she betrayed her own best friend, how she liked her best friend's crush. she felt horrible again. but she's happy with renjun, how could that be so wrong?

she knew that she'll face downfall when she arrives home. but she had no choice. the spur of happiness she felt earlier will fade in no time.

"message me when you needed someone to talk to, okay?" renjun hugged her for the last time before minji entered their house. he sighed, he felt miserable because he couldn't do anything about minji's problems.

later that night, renjun's phone beeped, indicating that he has received a message. it was from minji.

1 message received by MINJI!

MINJI
renjun, do you remember
our bet about my exam?
i forgot to tell you that i
got a perfect score on that
so you gotta do my wish,
right? you're not gonna
back down, aren't you?

RENJUN
tell me what you want,
minji. i'll try my best to
make your wish come
true. :)

MINJI
okay i'm gonna tell you
my wish now

MINJI
when i'm gone, i wish you
won't search for me. i wish
you find a better woman to
love. i wish you would move
on from me.

RENJUN
minji, please. i don't like
what you're trying to say

MINJI
i wish you'd stop liking me.