07

three years ago

three years ago

for the past weeks during lunch breaks, jaemin and his friends would always sit with them. the girls became close with the boys, but minji and renjun became more awkward with each other. on the other hand, chaeyoung and renjun became friends, and minji knew that chaeyoung will soon want more than that.

minji has been trying all sorts of things to avoid renjun. she has been trying not to involve herself in trouble for her not to serve in detention again. sometimes, minji would make up an excuse, be it faking a stomachache or faking that she had to do something in the library just to leave their table earlier during lunch breaks.

jaemin looked up at his sister who stood up right after finishing her meal, "you're leaving already? does your stomach hurt again?"

"no, i have to go to ms. choi. she told me she needed me to help her with something. i think it's about your batch's graduation," her lie was too detailed for anyone to notice. okay, maybe because it wasn't a complete lie that's why everyone was convinced by it. yes, ms. choi asked for her help but their talk was scheduled right after their class dismissal, not lunch break.

minji quickly placed her used utensils on the counter and bowed to the cafeteria staffs, thanking them. she rushed outside the place while ocassionally looking back because one time, jaemin brought her to the infirmary so she really faked being ill that time.

she closed the door of their school's music room as she decided to stay there for the rest of the lunch break. she sighed in relief when she saw no one inside and she made her way towards the piano. she pressed a series of keys, making a melody while casually singing a song. she stopped her performance when she heard the door creaked, making her abruptly turn her head in its direction.

there she saw huang renjun trying his very best not to make a sound while closing the door but miserably failed to do so. "sorry, i didn't know someone's here." lie. renjun knew that minji was avoiding him for the past weeks so he followed her because he wanted to talk to her about it.

he walked towards her, trying his best to be bold. "can i sit here?" renjun asked, pertaining to the space beside her.

minji wanted to run, away from him, but she realized how he missed the boy even though she sometimes intentionally and secretly walk past his classroom, just to take a glance at him. this isn't bad, right? we're just sitting beside each other, there's nothing wrong with it... right? she asked-more like she convinced herself as she scoot over the other side to give enough space for renjun.

renjun suddenly hummed the song she was playing earlier so she looked at him. minji found herself pressing the keys again as renjun finally sang with proper enunciation. but they soon stopped their performance when the chorus part ended.

"you really play the piano well," renjun looked at her, only to realize that she was looking at him the whole time.

minji looked away as she felt her face crimsoned, "really? i have only begun practising since my role in the play is a pianist."

renjun found himself smiling brighter, "you're really passionate about your dream, i admire that. i'll surely come to watch your stage, actress."

it was only the third time minji heard someone gave her talent a compliment. a troublemaker with a graceful dream? merely thinking of that brought laughters to their class when their teacher asked her what her dream was one time. her family, chaeyoung and renjun, were the only ones who really appreciated her talent. chaeyoung. the sudden thought of the girl made her realize what she was doing.

she was about to stand up when renjun gently held her wrist, making her look at him, "don't i really have a chance?"

minji gulped as she felt her heart crack because renjun sounded so hurt and desperate, "this is wrong, chaeyoung likes you."

but you're the one that i like, renjun wanted to tell her but he knew it would only give her pressure. minji felt renjun cup her face with his one hand, only realizing now that she was crying. she closed her eyes as she felt renjun kissing her forehead, holding her hand with his other hand tightly.

minji opened her eyes when a creaking sound from the door was heard. they both immediately looked at its direction and they saw chaeyoung, who felt shocked and betrayed when she saw her best friend and her crush holding each other.

minji quickly stood up, "chaeyoung-ah, it's not what you-" but before she could finish her words, chaeyoung stormed out of the room.

she was about to follow chaeyoung when she felt her phone vibrated. it was a message from her brother.

2 messages received from JAEMIN!

JAEMIN
minji-ah, where are you?
mom texted me that she
and dad fought again. they
wanted to talk to us after
dismissal so we need to
go home early, ok?

JAEMIN
don't worry, it's gonna be
fine :)