13

a savory aroma surrounded the kitchen as minji winced in pain when she accidentally touched the heated pot without a piece of cloth covering her hand

a savory aroma surrounded the kitchen as minji winced in pain when she accidentally touched the heated pot without a piece of cloth covering her hand. she mentally let out different curses while she wash her hand with running water.

"stop watching me, huang renjun. i told you i'll go to your room once i'm done with this," she scolded the boy as she dried her hands using a paper towel. renjun, however, seemed unfazed with his hand on his chin, leaning on the counter while looking at minji.

renjun walked towards her then he turned off the stove, "you're so clumsy." he held her hand and blew air on minji's hand, "does it still hurt?"

she shook her head and pulled away from renjun to prepare a bowl of porridge for him. she motioned him to eat and to her surprise, he didn't even whine. he must've feel really ill right now, she stared at him as she remembered how she ended up in the huang household.

as soon as the question escaped from her lips, renjun enveloped her into a hug. she felt his hot breath on her neck, but something felt off. minji felt renjun's body and breath getting heavier. the moment his umbrella slipped out of his hand, minji panicked.

"huang, are you okay?" she gently shook his shoulders but renjun only mumbled incoherently. she couldn't understand what he was saying.

minji managed to pull away from renjun, putting her hand on his forehead to check his temperature. "you're hot!"

this week is a hell for renjun. being in a dual degree program really required most of his time, he was unable to look out for himself as he was busy with studies. his classes also started early today, and the only break he had was when he had lunch. his body had given up due to fatigue, and his body drenched by the rain made it a lot worse.

renjun forced himself to plaster a cocky grin not to make minji worried, "i know."

but minji was too worried to accept any of his jokes. she supported renjun's weight by slinging his arm around her shoulders, her hand wrapped around renjun's waist, "you live now to where you always paint, right?"

minji was woken up from her trance when renjun spoke because he noticed that she was looking at him with worry evident in her eyes, "i'm fine, minji." he held his phone up to show her the screen, "i already told jaemin about it. he said he'll pick you up when his class ends."

"his class will end at 7pm, right?" minji tried to recall her brother's schedule. "do you think your parents will arrive at 7? or should i contact them to tell them you're sick so they'll leave work early to come here?"

renjun paused for a moment before eating again, "i live alone since i went to university." he gave her a genuine smile before adding, "they went back to china because of our business. i contact them often but i don't want them to know that i'm sick."

he stood up and was about to wash the dishes when minji dragged him to his bedroom and threatened him to rest and if he doesn't, she'll make chenle and jisung to look after him. renjun felt scared for a moment, after all those two will make him more sick. she went back to the kitchen when she saw renjun trying his very best to sleep.

after cleaning up, she was about to go to renjun's bedroom again when she saw a familiar room door slightly opened. at first, she only wanted to close the door but she felt curious so she decided to go inside. minji-ah, this is wrong. this isn't even your house, she thought to herself but she found herself pushing the door.

the room is renjun's favorite painting place. she awed in amusement when she saw different types of painted images scattered around the area. landscapes, mixtures of colors, abstract... and her. most of the paintings of her were of her back, some are her side profiles.

minji immediately closed the door and ran to renjun's bedroom, only to find him sleeping soundly. she sat on the cold floor to level her face with his as she gently kissed his forehead. when she pulled away, she felt renjun's hand held hers.

"i missed you so much," he mumbled in his sleep, making a tear escape from minji's eye.

hastily, she searched for her phone to type a message to her brother.

MINJI
oppa

MINJI
don't pick me up, i'm staying
with renjun tonight