Back Out

Valentina's P.O.V

I wake up in the middle of the night and look out the window. It was snowing lightly. I look over at Ellie and see she is knocked out. I try to get out of bed carefully so i wouldn't wake Ellie up. I slowly walk over to put on my gear.

Yes i am leaving. I still feel like I'm going to turn even tho everything looks fine. The bite mark looks normal.

I'm still leaving.

I grab the small bear Ellie gave me. I take it off the desk and shove it in my pack. I walk to the door but before I do anything I look at Ellie. I walk towards her and hold her hand. She is on her side so i turn her over face up. I lean in and kiss her.

"Good bye Ellie. I'm sorry." I whisper.

I walk to the door open and let myself out. I thought about leaving a note but she would read it and head out to search for me. So instead i left nothing so she'll think I went to go eat or something. I sneak past the stables not alerting the horses.

"Can you please open the gates?" I yell at a man on top of the gates.
"Why? Where are you going?"
"Oh I'll.. Just let me out."
"Do you have permission?"
"No but I need to go."
"Sorry I can't let you out. Especially not at night.

Ah shit.

"Fine." I walk away and try to find another exit.

I come across boxes stacked on top of each other. I can use that to climb over the fence.

I begin to stack stairs using the boxes. When I'm at the top I look back and see Ellie's house. I look away and go over the fence.

I start my journey alone.

Ellie's P.O.V

I open my eyes. I roll over and feel no one by my side.
"Val?"

She's not there. She probably went to the food centre.

I get up and put on my hoodie. When I do I see my gear on the floor. But Valentina's isn't there.

Did she go out?

I am sure she'll be okay and come back in one piece. I was off today but maybe it was her turn. Hopefully she's with Dina or Jesse. I trust the two of them.

I open my door and make my way to get breakfast when i hear someone's voice.

"Ellie." It was Dina.

I froze.

"Ellie?"
"Oh sorry."
"Hey."
"Hey." I respond back.

"Um I just wanted to say I'm sorry for running off last night." I look away from the snow under my feet to look at her.
"Oh that's- It's okay. I totally get it. I just I felt bad." She shook her head.
"Why?" I frowned.
"Cuz I started the whole thing. And. And i shouldn't have kissed you in front of all those people especially since you and Valentina are a thing and I-" I cut her off.
"You were drunk it's fine. Plus me and Valentina kinda talked about it." I look away from her to look around.
"Well but still. I don't want you and her to think-" I cut her off again but this time I look into her eyes.
"No I'm not reading into it or anything just.." I raise my eyebrows.
"You know what i love about you? How you let me finish my sentences." She smiles and looks me in the eyes.
"Alright." I look away. I felt something there. I exhale.

"I should look for Valentina." I look back at her.
"Oh yeah." She looked almost upset.
"So you and Jesse didn't go out today?"
"No. We go tomorrow."
"I thought Valentina was with you two."
"Why would she?"
"Well her gear was not where we last put it."
"Oh shit. She probably went out by herself."
"I gotta go look for her."
"Okay. Bye Ellie." She gives me a small smile and leaves me.
"Bye." I look at her walk away.

She walked away with her head down. Was she disappointed?

I shake my head and run to get my gear. When I'm home I take two minutes to get all my stuff ready. Then I run to the stables.

"Hey what are you doing?" I hear someone yells at me from the top.
"Practicing a dance." I say sarcastically.

"Getting a horse you dumbass." I say back.
"You can't go out unless you have permission."
"You little.." I look at him.
"We will go look for someone. We have permission from Maria."

I look over at who's talking. It was Jesse and Dina was standing next to him.

"Oh. Sorry." The man is starting to open the gates.

The three of us get a horse and ride it out.

"What just happened?"
"You think we'll let you do this on your own?"
"Sort of. Who told you?"
"I'm the one to blame." Dina said.
"Of course."
"So do you think she's far?" Dina said.
"I don't know."
"Did she take a horse?"
"I don't. Know." I say again.
"The man didn't let you go out." Dina yelled.
"So he didn't let Valentina go either." Jesse said back.
"But how did she get out?" Dina asked.
"Don't know. But i do know she us on foot." I smile.
"She didn't get too far." Jesse says.

After about 15 minutes of riding our horses we find footsteps buried in the snow.

"You think it's her?" Dina broke the silence.
"Only one way to find out." I respond.

We follow the footprints with our horses until they stop at a old liquor store.

I get off Shimmer and tie her to a tree.

"Ellie hold up." Dina said getting off her horse.

I just keep walking to the liquor store and look through the broken window which was no longer there. I saw nothing.

"Nothing's there." I say disappointed.
"Let's go inside to make sure." Jesse says.
"Good thinking." Dina opens the door carefully.

I walk in and look around. I went to the back and saw maps marked and a can of peaches open.

"So?" Jesse walks behind.
"This looks fresh." I say.
"Ellie.. I think you should look at this." Dina says looking out the back door.

I walk on over and see tracks of her shoes marked deep in the snow.