Chapter Two

Steven paced back in forth in his living room, sparing glances at the other gems every other second. you were sound asleep in his bed, thankfully, where you had been all night.

"are you sure she didn't just fall?" Pearl asked for the third or fourth time.

Steven nodded, his tone full of exasperation, "yes Pearl! i watched her walk off!"

"what, was she insane? did she, like... look crazy?" Amethyst asked. she was sprawled out on the couch, the top of her head against the floor and feet smashed into the back cushions.

"no, she just looked... sad?" he groaned in frustration. "i don't know! i'm gonna talk to her when she wakes up."

Garnet raised her hand calmly. "yes, about that... she just climbed off the balcony. she's running into town now."

"what?!" Steven ran up the stairs and burst into his bedroom. you laid still in his bed, sleeping soundly. the soft white comforter was pulled up to your chin and a fluffy pillow was tucked under your head. he closed the door softly and walked back down the stairs.

Garnet paused before speaking again. "sorry, wrong timeline."

-.-.-.-.-
your eyes fluttered open, reluctantly adjusting to the bright sunlight streaming right to your lashes.

where am i?

the sheets were soft and fluffy, making you want to sink into them and never get up. you scanned the somewhat messy room, confirming that you definitely didn't know where you were. after waiting a few seconds to relish in the warm sheets, you pushed them to your knees and tiptoed to the glass balcony door. you climbed carefully over the railing and landed on the sand with a soft thump.

why am i still alive? i remember falling.

oh, i think... there was a boy in the sand. he had asked if i was okay.

this must be his room.

-.-.-.-.-
Steven watched Garnet hold up her hand again. "now she's climbing off the balcony and walking to town." she said more matter-of-factly. Steven ran back up the stairs and into his room; he sighed at his empty bed and open balcony door.

"damn it," he huffed.

-.-.-.-.-
you pressed an ear against your front door, trying to see if anyone was home. "-is your fucking work!" you could hear your mother yelling inside.

"its not my fault!" your father screamed back, and the sound of glass shattering followed.

you sighed and turned around, making your way robotically towards the forest at the far end of Beach City. you hiked until the trees thinned significantly, opening up to a rocky clearing. the trees were splintered in half by force, and a makeshift cave in the center was created from large flattened boulders.

"Jasper?" you called.

a voice grumbled incoherently from inside the little cave. a shuffling noise echoed throughout the clearing, and Jasper emerged from the darkness with a scowl. she searched your face for a few seconds before sighing, "what did you do?"

you groaned loudly, "i-i don't know! i remember walking off of a cliff... and somehow i'm still here!" you started pacing around in the dirt.

Jasper shrugged, "how should i know?"

"there was a boy; at the bottom of the cliff. i think he asked if I was okay. maybe he did something?"

Jaspers' interest seemed peaked. "what did he look like?"

"i don't know, it was too dark. he looked pretty buff. i think he had curly hair, and he was wearing pajamas." when you strode by her again, she grabbed your shirt collar and tossed you on top of the cave.

"your pacing is annoying." Jasper hopped up onto the cave after you, sitting down with yet another sigh. "i bet i know who it was."

"who?"

"Steven Universe. that annoying kid is dying to help everyone. i wouldn't be surprised if he jumped up and put you in one of his stupid bubbles or something."

Jasper had told you many stories about The Crystal Gems, the Diamonds, Homeworld: everything like that. although you didn't think ill of them like Jasper did, you enjoyed her stories almost as much as she enjoyed telling them. not to mention, Steven Universe was on the TV all of the time. either in advertisements for his little gem school or on the news for his many heroic acts. he had been a town pariah since before you moved to Beach City.

"oh." that was all you said. that was all you could say. but you silently prayed you wouldn't run into him again, because you would owe him one hell of an explanation.

(edited!) ((again))