Chapter Ten

Steven decided to introduce you to Garnet, Amethyst, and Pearl while Bismuth made your weapon. Lapis and Peridot tagged along, asking you questions about your home life.

"do you have any... sab-siblings?" Peridot said hesitantly. she looked at Steven. "humans have those, right?"

you smiled. "no, i'm an only child."

Lapis spoke up next. "are you still with that blonde guy? Grant?"

please say no. please say no. please say no.

you shook your head. "gods no, he was crazy." you and Lapis weren't close, but you felt like she was a trustworthy person. there were a lot of nights that you blabbed on about your struggles and worries while she listened intently. Steven led you around a corner to Little Homeworlds main warp pad. it was around the time Ruby and Sapphire usually met up for a lunch break (even though they didn't eat), and Pearl, Steven, and Amethyst usually met at the warp pad to see them when they weren't busy.

"what is Grant?" Peridot asked.

"my ex-boyfriend. he always flirted with other girls when we were out together, and when i tried to break it off with him he ripped his shirt off and called himself 'the man'."

"they should be here in a few minutes." Steven informed, trying to take the focus off your past relationships.

Lapis gently touched Stevens arm. "can i talk to you in private?" Steven nodded, and they walked a few feet away.

Peridot looked up at you curiously, hands on her hips. "how long do you humans live?"

"it depends, but usually less than a hundred years." you said.

Peridot scoffed. "only a hundred? weak!"

Lapis faced Steven nervously. she lowered her voice so other gems walking by them wouldn't hear her as she warned Steven. "you need to keep an eye on Y/N."

he furrowed his brows. "what? why?"

"she's a danger to herself. it's not my place to tell you what she's- i... she's jumped off a cliff and stars knows what else!" Lapis' voice was becoming more frantic with each word.

Steven shook his head. "she told me she gets in these moods sometimes, but they pass. they always pass."

"yeah, suicidal moods. she has a lot of issues, Steven. i don't want anything to happen to her, please just... look out for her." Lapis frowned.

"okay, yeah okay." He nodded.

"HEY!!" a voice from beside them yelled.

Steven ducked to the side, holding his ear. "stars, Amethyst, what the hell?!" he shouted.

Amethyst was laughing, holding a pizza box like a prize. "whatcha talking about?"

before Steven could come up with a lie, Peridot was pulling you over and waving enthusiastically.

"nothing." Lapis said quickly.

Steven gestured to you with a smile. "this is Y/N. Y/N, this is Amethyst."

Amethyst gasped. "wow! you are so pretty!" she dropped the pizza on the ground, skipping over to you and grabbing your hair. "and your hair is so soft!"

there were more footsteps. "Amethyst what are you doing? haven't we talked about grabbing strangers hair?" Pearl had her phone out, probably texting someone. "oh, who is this?" she looked down her nose at you, finally putting her phone down.

"Y/N." Steven leaned over to you and whispered, "that's Pearl."

realization seemed to hit Pearl and Amethyst at the same time when they saw Lapis tapping her foot anxiously and Stevens nervous glances between you and them. "ohh." they said in unison.

you knew that they knew, and felt your face heat up in embarrassment. of course Steven had told them.

Steven cleared his throat. "have you seen Garnet?"

"here!" Garnet was approaching with a smile. "Ruby's scout class went a little long. Onion won a badge we hadn't made yet."

"it's fine! is it okay if Y/N, Peridot, and Lapis have lunch with us? Amethyst bought pizza." Steven picked up the box and handed it back to Amethyst.

they nodded. "of course. don't sit on the grass, Peridot." everyone sat down on the warp pad, opening the box of pizza. Steven, Y/N, and Amethyst grabbed a slice while everyone talked around them.

"Y/N will only live for less than one hundred years. can you believe that?" Peridot shook her head in disbelief.

Pearl rolled her eyes. "humans dont live as long as gems do."

Peridot scoffed. "so weak!" she shouted.

-.-.-.-.-
Steven invited you to his house to watch a movie after lunch, and you agreed. he couldn't stop thinking about what Lapis had said though, it was making him unable to focus.

'you need to keep an eye on Y/N, Steven' what does that mean? she seems fine to me...

you were sitting on Stevens bed and the movie was just starting. Steven sighed, he couldn't take it anymore. "are you okay?" he turned to you.

you scoffed in confusion. "what? yes?"

"are you okay?" he asked again. his eyes narrowed at the uncertain smile on your face.

you forced out a giggle. "yeah, why?"

"you just seem... you know you can talk to me, right?" he started to reach for your hands, but stopped himself.

"yes, i know. but there's nothing to talk about." you insisted.

"but at the beach-"

"yeah, and i said i would talk to you if i needed to. i don't need to." your smile fell, and your face became oddly neutral.

what is going on?

"i just, i know something is wrong. you can talk-"

you stood up, visibly annoyed. "i said i'm fine Steven! drop it!"

Steven was taken-aback by your sudden outburst. sure, you had gotten annoyed once or twice, but never full on angry.

he stood up after you, squaring his shoulders. it made you oddly nervous. you took a shaky step back.

and he just stared at you, his brows furrowed. he didn't really think before speaking. "let me see your wrists."

(edited!!)