Chapter Twelve

"Y/N?" Steven opened the door slowly, his brows furrowing at the sight of you.

you smiled awkwardly. "can we have a sleepover?" you whispered. your fingers were tightly crossed behind your back. you knew you could go to Anna's or Lindsay's, but you really didn't want to beg her to let you stay.

he stepped back and opened the door wider. "of course, what's wrong?" He wouldn't have normally asked that, but you looked worried.

"my ex is here." you sat down on the couch, wringing the strap of your bag in your hands. "he was at my front door when I got home."

Steven shut the door. "which one?"

"he name is Derek. he cheated on me with Lindsay... and he was abusive."

Don't freak out. Don't freak out. Don't freak out. Don't freak out.

"abusive?" Steven repeated shakily. his skin and eyes glowed bright pink.

"what the fuck?" you leaned away from him.

that's a gem thing, right? i hope so, if i ever turn pink i'll have a heart attack. is this a normal thing he does? he seems awfully upset.

"sorry! i cant control it, sorry." he shook his arms, trying to rub the pink on his skin away.

i shook my head. "um, yeah just a little bit. i don't want to talk to him. he comes back to town every once and i while to try and made me get back with him." you looked down at your hands in shame. "and i usually do." you whispered. it was so quiet Steven wasn't sure if he had heard you correctly.

he took a deep breath and the pink faded a little. "okay."

"okay?" You repeated.

"okay. you can stay here until he leaves, and i'll become your own personal bodyguard."

you laughed, "okay, just... let me use the bathroom by myself."

-.-.-.-.-
Derek rang the doorbell, a grin forming on his face. but... no one answered. he checked his watch. you should be home by now, he knew your schedule.

he rang the doorbell again. this time, your mother answered. "ah, hello (moms name). can i talk to Y/N?" he asked. he looked past her into the living room, but found it empty.

your mother sighed. "she's not home. come back another time." she started the close the door.

Derek pushed the door back open. "you're lying. she's always home at this time. let me talk to her." you scowled.

your mother shrugged. "sorry, she hasn't come home. she's probably with her friends."

Derek glared at your mother. "fine, i'll come back tomorrow."

-.-.-.-.-
a loud bang could be heard from Stevens room, followed by him yelling. "IM DONE!"

you laughed. "it was your idea to play again." He switched off the tv and turned the console off with a scowl.

"i thought i could beat you, i've been practicing." he sat down on the edge of the bed, facing away from you.

"aww, don't be upset." you mocked. you put the controller down and crawled over to him. he didn't answer, turning even further away from you. "Steven..." you drew out. you poked his cheek and huffed. "i'm sorry i'm better than you." you swung your legs over the side of the bed so you could sit beside him. nothing.

after another sigh, you wrapped your arms around his waist. "i said i was sorry. if we play one more time i bet you'll win~" you sang.

there was a long pause, then he hugged you back. "it doesn't count if you let me win." you smiled and pulled back.

Steven yawned. "can we go to bed now?" it became an unspoken agreement that you two would just sleep in the same room.

you rolled over to your side of the bed and slipped under the covers. Steven put an extra pillow between you two just in case and switched the lamp off. "goodnight N/N."

"good night Steven." You whispered back. you both drifted off the sleep in no time, content with the fact you were together.

-.-.-.-.-
you were sitting at the kitchen table, eating the pancakes Pearl had made before leaving for Little Homeschool.

your phone buzzed.

Lindsay: so have you talked to the cute guy yet?

you sighed. "hey Steven?" he looked up and hummed in response. "Lindsay, Grace, and Anna want to meet you."

he frowned, making a disgusted noise. "well i don't want to meet them. they sound so mean." he stuffed a piece of pancake in his mouth.

you snorted. "i don't want you to meet them either. but if i don't set something up Lindsay will."

"fine. we can meet today and hang out at the beach i guess." he shrugged nonchalantly.

you looked outside at the pouring rain. "um, no. we'll do something tomorrow."

You: Funland tomorrow?

Lindsay: sounds fun! Tell the cutie I said hey xx

before you could put your phone down, you got another text.

Anna: hey I heard Derek was in town

Anna: he's looking for you. be careful

(edited!)