Chapter Eighteen

"Steven! we have to leave now!" you shouted from the foot of the stairs. you both woken up late, and had been left scrambling to get ready. today was the day Steven was meeting your 'friends' at Funland.

"i know! i know!" Steven tripped down the stairs, landing hard on his face. you starting laughing, unable to lace up your shoes. "shut up! my face is gonna bruise!" Steven rubbed his cheek with a frown.

"if only you had healing powers or something. can we take Lion? you know, to save the environment."

Steven eyed the pink creature on the couch. "i don't know... your friends aren't really aware of the magic side of this world." he handed you his pink letterman jacket, knowing you probably would end up stealing it if he didn't give it to you now.

you took the jacket happily, then grabbed onto his arm and jumped up and down. "please!! i'll buy you cotton candy!" he still looked reluctant. "we can ride that roller coaster you love so much." You hated that roller coaster.

"okay, fine. Lion, can you take us to Funland?" Lion huffed but walked over to you, crouching down so you could hop onto his back.

Lindsay: we're here!

You: otw, be there in a minute

Lindsay: hot guys coming, right?

You: yeah

Lindsay: i've got a surprise for you, i think you'll love it ;)

that automatically put you on edge. anytime Lindsay had a surprise for you, it sucked.

you and Steven agreed you would make this into a date, probably breaking off from the group to ride a ride or play a game.

when Lion skidded to a stop at the Funland entrance, Steven noticed your tense state. "what's wrong?"

you shook your head as you scanned the crowd. "nothing. just a heads up, Lindsay is going to flirt with you, Grace will ask you super personal and rude questions, and Anna... Anna's nice." he grabbed your hand to lead you inside as you continued. "i-it's just... something doesn't feel right. maybe Dereks here, Lindsay would do that." you groaned.

"rude friends and crazy ex. got it." Steven elbowed you playfully.

you rolled your eyes. "i'm serious, Steven."

"so am i. i am going to make sure you have fun, you're such a downer sometimes." Steven smirked down at you, and leaned in for a kiss. but before your lips could meet, you heard someone call your name. Lindsay, Grace, and Anna weaved through the crowd towards you guys. you gripped onto Stevens hand tighter, suddenly terrified of your friends. Lindsay towed someone along by the hand, a saccharine smile on her face.

you froze in shock when you realized who it was. "Derek." you whispered. Steven followed your gaze, and immediately glared at Derek.

when the group reached you, all eyes were on Steven. Lindsay smiled coyly. "Y/N, aren't you going to introduce us?" Lindsay barely glanced at you.

"this is Steven. Steven, that's Lindsay, Grace, Anna, and... Derek."

Steven stepped forward a little so you were behind him, still smiling normally like his usual self. "it's nice to meet you all!"

Derek stuck out his hand. "nice to meet you man." bright pink tinted Stevens cheeks, and he made no move to shake it. "so how do you know my girl?"

"i am not your girl, Derek. we broke up, do you remember that?" you gritted your teeth and stepped forward, glaring between Derek and Lindsay. a hand laid on your shoulder, Steven smiled and pulled you back to him.

Lindsay laughed airily. "let's walk around, see if there's anything interesting to do." you and Steven held hands, somehow walking in the middle of the group. Lindsay next to you, Derek next to Steven.

and it was taking everything in Steven not to punch Derek every time he looked in your direction.

Grace started asking Steven questions, as you had warned. "so, Steven. have you always lived in Beach City?"

"yup!" Stevens walk was more of a skip, making you smile.

"you look so familiar, have we met before?" Lindsay cut in, smirking at Steven as if you weren't there.

Steven laughed, totally ignoring the obvious tension. "probably not, but i'm on TV a lot. the news, or advertisements for Little Homeworld, that one inter-dimensional broadcast about me announcing peace and my return to Earth..."

Anna's eyes widened. "wait, Steven... Universe?" she stopped walking, as did Lindsay and Derek. Grace moved in front of Steven, looking him up and down.

"oh my god, it is you! Y/N, how did you of all people score someone like this?" Grace scoffed.

you took a deep breath, then loosened your grip on Stevens hand. "i'm gonna go to the bathroom."

Derek perked up. "yeah, i have to go to." He started to follow you to the bathroom, but Steven clapped his hand on his shoulder.

Steven gave Derek a forced smile. "actually, i was hoping i could talk to you, in private."

(edited!)