Chapter Thirty-Two

hey guys, sorry for not posting for such a long time. i'm still struggling a little bit, but i'm going to try to get back into the groove of things. this chapter will be kind of a filler, i just wanted to get something out :) thank you guys for understanding, i love you

-.-.-.-.-

the last few weeks have been... odd.

the first few days you and Steven started talking were so slow, so boring. but after your talk at the beach everything was weirdly normal again.

you still stayed in Peridot and Lapis' barn, who turned into overprotective, angry farm aunts. Steven stopped by your office at work, and waved at you when you saw each other.

the morning Steven picked you up for work you were dangerously late.

you called Steven as a last resort, begging him to take a detour and pick you up. he was more than happy to, doing a u-turn in the middle of the road when he got your text.

the ride was awkward at first, but after you made a comment about Lions hair all over the backseat, everything was normal.

Pearl, Amethyst, and Garnet waved at Stevens car as it pulled into its usual parking spot.

Pearl paused as Steven stepped out of the car, confused. he looked completely normal.

the passenger side door opened, revealing the reason for his normal-ness.

you.

Amethyst groaned, and Garnet held out a hand slowly. Amethyst slapped at $20 bill into her hand, muttering something about never betting against Garnet again.

you and Steven met at the front of his car, pausing to exchange work papers. the gems watched Steven say something with a smirk, causing you to crack a smile and blush. he leaned in a little bit, and you shoved a yellow folder into his face. you scooped up your papers, waving at Bismuth and walking towards your office without another word.

Pearl shook her head slightly. "what an odd couple."

Garnet pocketed the money. "i told you." she smiled as Steven skipped towards them, handing Pearl the folder that had previously been shoved in his face. "good morning, Steven."

he beamed. "morning guys!"

Amethyst nudged the boy. "what's got you so chipper? your eyes are normal-"

Pearl sent her a look, mouthing 'don't bring that up' when Stevens back was turned. Steven rolled his eyes slightly. "i guess i just woke up on the right side of bed." shrugging, he glanced in the direction of your office.

"mhm, sure you did." Amethyst followed his eyes. "Y/N lose her ability to walk or something?"

Stevens eyes widened slightly at the subtle accusation. "no! she was just late for work and asked for a ride."

Garnet laid her hand on Pearl and Amethysts shoulders, looking down at Steven knowingly. "we will be out all tonight and tomorrow on a mission. so if you wanted to make plans you should."

"what? i didn't know we had a-" Pearl cut herself off. "OH! oh, yes! we have that mission on the... in the island. over that way. behind... the ocean?"

Amethyst yanked her away. "you are the worst liar i have ever met!" she hissed.

Garnet lowered her shades to wink at Steven, making his face heat up slightly. "make some plans."

-.-.-.-.-
a light knock sounded on your office door, making you look up. Steven slid inside without waiting for an answer. "oh, how can i help Steven?" you smiled.

Steven stopped in front of your desk, suddenly becoming shy. "would you maybe want to..." he looked down, afraid you would refuse.

"cometomyhouseandwatchamovieorsomething?"

you put down your pen. "what?" You chuckled. "was that even English?"

Steven took a deep breath. "would you, maybe, want to come to my house after work? we can watch a movie and eat dinner or something? you don't have to say yes, i was just-"

"sure." you cut him off nonchalantly. "sounds fun."

Steven subtly celebrated, smiling and nodding softly. "see you later, then."

(edited!)