Chapter Three

Steven wasn't exactly looking for you, but he had developed a habit of scanning the area whenever he was in town; just in case you happened to be there.

It had been a week exactly since the... incident, and you had made it your life's mission to avoid Steven Universe at all costs.

whether that meant jumping over the counter at The Big Donut and sneaking out the back, convincing Onion to hide you in the ceiling at Funland Arcade, or (regrettably) jumping into a dumpster on the boardwalk.

Funland Arcade was one of your favorite places in Beach City. you had always been infatuated with the colorful lights, electronic sounds, and bright video games that provided hours of entertainment. you had entered the arcade early in the morning, playing games with Onion and snacking on chips and soda.

Steven arrived at the arcade happily. he had the day off work, thankfully, and was passing through town to say hello to all his old friends. he chatted with Mr. Smiley for a few minutes, then voiced that he was heading to the Fryman's shop.

at that, there was an odd thump in the ceiling above him. he ignored it, assuming there was a seagull or rat stuck in the ceiling again and knowing Mr. Smiley would yell at him for messing with the tiles. he and Amethyst got banned for a month for tossing pencils when he was younger.

Steven paused in confusion as Onion appeared out of the storage room with a step ladder. Onion placed the ladder in the center of the arcade, then climbed up to move out of the ceiling tiles out of place.

"Onion? what're you doing, buddy?" Steven asked.

Onion jumped, spinning around with wide eyes. he pushed on Stevens's stomach, trying unsuccessfully to inch him out the door of the arcade -trying to move Steven was like trying to move a mountain-. they both jumped when the ladder creaked. a girl hopped out of the ceiling, landing on the ladder uneasily and brushing the hair out of her face.

it was you.

you patted Onion's head, "thanks, kid." he nodded and ran away with the step ladder.

"uh..." Steven started.

you screamed in surprise, face darkening. Onion was supposed to wait until Steven left. yet here he was. a week's worth of work, all for nothing.

"i don't want to talk about it," you said suddenly. "goodbye." you hurried past him and out the door.

(edited!) ((again))