Chapter Twenty Two

you and Steven hadn't spoken throughout the ride to Little Homeworld.

finally, in the parking lot, your nerves bubbled out of you. "i'm sorry if i made you uncomfortable..." you trailed off and looked down at your hands.

"what?" Steven snapped his head over to you. he figured you would be uncomfortable, if anyone.

"that was really awkward and- and messed up. i didn't want you to know about... that."

he nodded understandingly, but it was truly eating him up inside.

maybe if i had met her sooner, i could have helped her before any of that happened.

he forced out a small smile and grabbed your hand. "it's okay, i'm okay. if you want to talk about it, i'm here for you." he was pulling you towards a bench in the heart of Little Homeworld, where he knew Amethyst would soon be sitting.

"thanks, Steven." you smiled back at him. you knew he wasn't being completely truthful, but you also knew it took him a while to open up about his feelings.

Amethyst appeared out of nowhere, hugging you and Steven. "hey dudes!" she sat down across from the two of you, clearing her throat. "as you may know... i kinda took up the job of helping other gems find a job that fits their talents." she pulled out a clipboard. "and i was thinking, 'hey, Y/N always complains about not having money, so why not find her a job?'. great idea, right?"

"well-"

Amethyst shushed you. "i know it is. i was thinking you would like a job in Little Homeworld, so you and Steven can carpool or whatever." Amethyst glanced down at her clipboard, seeming nervous. "how would you like to be Little Homeworlds gem therapist!"

you blinked. "a therapist? i don't think i'm qualified for that."

"who cares! you can talk to the stressed out, and a little traumatized gems and help them become better people! i know one gem in particular that could really use your help. she lives in the f-"

Steven cut Amethyst off. "let's start slow! we can build you an office, if you want to do this. if not, no hard feelings." he smiled at you sweetly.

you nodded slowly, then smiled. "i'll do it."

(edited!)