Chapter Sixteen

Steven: I'll pick you up soon :)

You: do I need to get dressed up?

Steven: nope! Just wear something comfy

although you could tell Steven was trying to act calm over text, you knew he was probably freaking out about making sure everything was perfect.

and he was.

"okay, okay, okay. blanket? check. food and drinks? check. extra lights for a calming aesthetic? check. did i forget anything? like... pants or shoes or..?" Steven handed his checklist to Pearl.

Connie patted his back. "it's fine! you look great, she'll look great, nothing can go wrong."

"but what if-"

Amethyst cut him off. "oh my, would you look at the time? it's time to go pick up your date!" Amethyst shoved him towards the edge of the cliff that dropped down to his house. he stumbled forward, floating off while angrily yelling back at Amethyst.

you took deep breaths and looked in the bathroom mirror, fixing your hair.

i've been on dates before, it's not a big deal. but it is, it's Steven, and i need this to go well.

you cared about his feelings and opinion more than the other guys you've dated. being with him was different... better.

"Y/N?" Steven entered the house, trying to calm his nerves.

"i'm ready!" you skidded out of the bathroom and smiled at him. his jaw dropped a little bit, and it made you cover your waist. "what? should i change? am i underdressed or over-"

"no, it's perfect. let's go!" Steven grabbed your hand and pulled you out of the house. "so, we can either take the long, scenic route... or the fun way."

"the fun away, of course!" you rolled your eyes and Steven beamed. he picked you up abruptly, making you yell in surprise, and bent his knees.

"wait a second, what are you-" you were cut off when Steven launched himself into the air, spinning you around so you could look at the view below you. you didn't scream, although you wanted to, in awe at the perfect view of the ocean and setting sun.

Steven landed on the ground after a few seconds, letting you down on your feet as he laughed at your terrified expression. "sorry, i should've warned you." he gestured to the scene in front of you. "anyways... what do you think?"

you gasped in surprise.

Steven really went all out. lights were strung back and forth from the trees to the lighthouse, and an increased picnic blanket was laying in the middle. there was a large picnic basket beside the blanket, overflowing with all kinds of snacks, fruits, apple juice and dinner foods. Stevens ukulele was laying off to the side, just in case.

you weren't saying anything, and Steven was starting to get worried. he scanned your face for any negative emotions.

what if she doesn't like it? Dad always said i would find someone who's a hopeless romantic like me, but maybe i haven't. that can't be true, she's so perfect, and beautiful...

"if-if you don't like it we can go see a movie or something instead?" Steven rubbed the back of his neck nervously.

your eyes widened and you grabbed Stevens arm in a panic. "no! i love it!" all the panic left Stevens face as he sighed.

"thank the stars. shall we?" he led you to the blanket, sitting far enough away that he could admire you without straining his neck.

you looked around, still a little stunned. "you didn't have to do all of this."

Steven scoffed. "of course i did! you deserve this- actually more than this!" he was definitely trying to boost your confidence by saying this, and it worked. you blushed looked down at your hands.

after a minute of silence you cleared your throat. "okay, first date stuff... what are your hobbies?"

"hobbies? um-i sing and dance sometimes.... i used to garden but i don't really do that anymore."

"why not?"

Steven handed you a juice box. "well i did it to relive stress and make myself feel better about all my friends leaving me, but i accidentally created a giant cactus version of myself and he told the gems all my secrets."

you blinked. "oh, wow okay. um, what's your favorite color?"

"pink! obviously." he lifted up his shirt to reveal his gem. "what's your favorite color?"

"(favorite color)." you moved to the picnic basket and looked inside. "are you hungry? i didn't eat lunch so I would be able to eat for our date."

Our date.

"yeah, i'm starving." he leaned over to the basket with you, and you both grabbed an assortment of items you wanted. "okay, what's your favorite movie?"

you thought for a moment. "(favorite movie) i guess. that's such a difficult question, all movies are great." he nodded.

"what's your favorite place to go in space?"

"how many pets have you had?"

"when's your birthday?"

"what's your favorite book?"

the date went on for at least an hour, until you both couldn't think of any questions to ask anymore. by then, you both had learned practically everything there is to know about each other, and it was completely dark out.

Steven looked out on the water. you were leaning against him comfortably, you head on his shoulder. "i like you, a lot." Steven said quietly.

you hid your smile. "i like you too, a lot." Steven kissed the top of your head.

(edited!)