.0.

One and a half years after the events of Breaking Dawn...

"This internship really couldn't come at a better time, Christian. Mom and I are drifting even further apart, I can't stand another week in this house." 

A sigh was heard on the other end of the phone. "Aww I know, princess. One more night and you're out of there."

I was currently packing a bag to take with me, ready to move halfway across the country to the much colder Washington. More specifically, La Push.

I had managed to land a fairly impressive internship for my degree, as I was studying public relations and had secured myself a position in a Washington publishing office. The job was supposed to be entry level, easy to pick up, but enough to stand out on a resume seeing as I would be responsible for the position all on my own, even at such a young age.

I lived with my single mother in Michigan, after living in Minnesota for a while just the two of us. She had never been an overly present mother figure, always out doing her own thing, seeing people who got her into trouble and wasting all our money. 

To be honest, I couldn't be more relieved to be moving away and finding my own path in the world. I would miss her, sure, but our relationship had become increasingly more toxic over the years and I had become more independent, determined to make my own way.

She had never confirmed it, but I'm 99% sure that we moved to Michigan because of my father. I had never met him - all I knew of him was that he lived in Washington with my mom for a while before I was born, and when she fell pregnant with me, she left him. Then when I was about 7, we uprooted and moved our life from Minnesota to Michigan, and I'm sure it had something to do with my father. 

I knew his name was Terrance. But I didn't know much else. Mom said she left because she couldn't handle his temper anymore and he was a liar, which I take with a grain of salt due to the fact it reflects her own flaws as well. 

To be honest, I don't care. That's all the information I need. He has never come looking for me and never taken an interest, so I haven't pushed back. 

It has been lonely though, growing up with just my distant mother. That was until I met Christian.

Christian filled a hole in my life - we had been together for two years now but friends for about five. He was currently completing online college, able to spend his days working as a sport coach in his spare time. He had been there through all the shit and all my mother's outbursts, all our fights and every time I came home to an empty house, filling it with warmth.

Sure, he wasn't perfect, but he was the only person who bothered to make me feel loved, and that was everything.

"Alright babe I'm gonna finish packing, I'll see you later. Love you." I finalised over the phone.

"Alright Oakley babe, I'll be there in the morning to drop you to the airport. Love you too."

Zipping up my suitcase, I dusted off my jeans and sighed, proud of my progress and ready to move to the next phase of my life. I realised how thirsty I was after all this packing, my body demanding water.

I moved to my bedroom door and crept out of my bedroom in case my mother was sleeping, knowing better than to allow myself to wake her. But instead, I saw a the front room illuminated my a lamp, and crept down the hallway to check if she had passed out on the couch.

No, there was mumbling. Someone else in the room? She was whispering, but sounded frantic at the same time.

"Stacey what if she sees him? I never told him about her, but he could have figured it out. What if that's why he ended up following us to Minnesota?"

Fortuity // Seth ClearwaterOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara