.2.

My first day in the office had gone amazing. I felt on top of the work the whole day, courtesy of my previous hard work through college and being completely focused on getting to exactly this place.

I had attempted to mirror the on-trend professional fashion that I witnessed in the office the day before, which was perfect as it was my personal style exactly, wearing my hair in a braid crown across the front and donning a cute boyfriend jean outfit, styled up to be professional and chic.

Naturally, the second I was released from work and finished my daily tasks having gotten a great head start on some campaigns for a new client, I headed to the beach. I hadn't gone for a walk this morning, opting to stay in and get a few hours extra sleep, so I felt overjoyed being able to leave my bag in the car, kick off my heels, and carry them as I let my toes sink into the sand.

I walked for about twenty minutes before I decided to let my ankles feel the freezing water around them, stepping in to the sea slightly to release the tension of the day. 

Once again, breathing in the salt water grounded me, making me feel like I was meant to be here in some kind of way.

"Yo, Oakley!" I heard being called behind me as I closed my eyes. Whipping my head to turn, I was met with the man from yesterday, Embry, as he jogged over to me with a smile.

"Hey! Do you ever wear clothes?" I questioned teasingly as I turned to face him, noticing how he looked me up and down subtly approving what he saw.

He laughed at my comment. "Not when I think there's a chance I'll run into you," he quipped, winking at me in the process. I just rolled my eyes at his comment, readjusting my heels in my hand awkwardly. 

"How was your first day?" he asked in a friendly tone.

"I'm surprised you remembered, it was really good thanks. I feel good there." 

He smiled down at me from his giraffe height as we walked slowly along the shore. "Can I ask you something?" 

That caught my curiosity, and I nodded. "Of course."

"How do you know Paul Lahote?" 

The question made my blood stop flowing for a second, and I attempted to mask my nervousness by shifting my shoes in my hand once more, and playing with my hair. Clearing my throat, I looked away.

Thank god he couldn't hear or sense how fast my heart was beating.

"I uh...well I've never met him, I don't really know him," I attempted to cover, terrified he may have mentioned me to his supposed 'brother' seeing as they were apparently so close.

He didn't seem satisfied, potentially noticing my discomfort. Maybe I was just a bad liar.

"Well then I'll rephrase if we're going to be that technical. How do you know OF Paul Lahote?"