.4.

"Geez you really weren't kidding when you said you didn't have many boxes," Paul commented as I brought in the last of the moving gear.

"Yeah well there would have been more but I kinda ran out of the house after I heard I had a brother," I joked. Paul laughed softly as he went to pick up one of the boxes I wasn't able to. "Oh be careful that one's really.....heavy..." 

I trailed off after he picked it up as if it was bubble wrap, tossing it under his arm and smirking at my stunned face as he brought it into his house. I mean sure I knew he was built like a tank but...that's inhuman strength. 

I followed him into the house that was sitting in a clearing in the forest. It was blue, paint peeling off at every wall, the outside rusting and clearly never properly maintained. There was evidence of life, bikes tossed down the side and a broken window Paul insists was Jared's fault but I knew better. 

Walking inside, the home was definitely too big for one person, and I understood why Paul felt so eager to have company. It wasn't perfect at all, but there was warmth, photo frames scattered around the shelves, a small kitchen and two bedrooms off the hallway. The carpet had been stained and ripped in multiple places, once again Paul insisting it was the fault of his rowdy companions.

I didn't realise how long I had been staring at the house until a hand was on my shoulder. "You okay?" Paul's deep voice sounded.

I nodded. "Yeah, sorry. It's just super weird being here and thinking about the fact that I could have grown up in this house with you. I could have been in those photos, I could have broken that window...I dunno it's probably stupid."

"No, it's not stupid at all. I was...thinking it too. There's so much we didn't get to do as brother and sister, but you're here now, and we can do all of those things. We can eat cereal for dinner and watch cartoons all night, fight like we hate each other and then laugh about it ten seconds later." I giggled at his words, picturing what normal siblings would be doing. It was nice knowing he craved the same simplicity and the bare sibling relationship I did. "We'll just be adults and look ridiculous doing it." he added, laughing along.

I sighed and moved to his side for a hug. "Are you 100% sure it's okay that I'm here? I really don't want to-"

"Oh my GOD Oakley, yes!" he insisted, throwing his head back in exhaustion after I'd asked him the same question thirty times today. "This house was never meant for just me. And sure, Rachel basically lives here anyway but this is a family house, and that's exactly how it should be treated. So get over yourself and go unpack."

---

I had just put away the final box of my clothes, sighing and looking  back satisfied on my progress. I didn't have any furniture or anything, so the only real possessions I moved with me were my clothes, my college textbooks and work stuff, and legal documents. Everything else was starting from scratch.

"Oakley, there's someone here I want you to meet!" Paul called out as I finished.

I dusted my hands off on my jeans and made a move out of my new room to greet him. Rounding the corner I met the stranger with a smile, warm and inviting. "Hey!" I opened straight away.

"Oak, this is Rachel, Jacob's sister, my im-my girlfriend. Rach, this is Oakley, my sister." Paul held his arm proudly around Rachel, making me smile brightly at the sight. 

"It's so nice to finally meet you, Oakley, Paul has told me so much about you he's been so excited to introduce us!" Rachel spoke excitedly. 

I approached her for a warm hug. "It's so nice to meet you too! Paul said you were gorgeous he wasn't kidding!" she giggled humbly at my words. "Oh hey cute top," I complimented.

Fortuity // Seth ClearwaterOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara