What Did He Do??

Zhan’s POV

It’s almost mid-night, and I am wide awake. It’s not that I usually don’t stay awake. It’s the feelings of uneasiness mixed with concern, taking control over my body. There is something within me which is currently yelling at me, announcing that something or someone isn’t well. Yet, I cannot apprehend what it is exactly.

After a while of tossing and turning in sheets, I finally gave up and extended my hand towards the night stand to grab my phone. I better start scrolling through some social media to ease my mind. However the excitement of searching for his profile took over my anxious mind and I entered his name in the search bar.

I frown looking at the profile picture, it’s a green helmet? Who in the world puts such a picture as their profile when you get a handsome face to flaunt about? Scrolling through his profile, I didn’t get any of his pictures aside from a mirror selfie. It was taken in.. Washroom?

Is he asleep? Should I text him saying ‘A Good Night’? No! Control yourself Zhan! What will he think if you text in the middle of night? For pete’s sake, it’s fucking 2

Is he asleep? Should I text him saying ‘A Good Night’? No! Control yourself Zhan! What will he think if you text in the middle of night? For pete’s sake, it’s fucking 2.15AM.

Even after many attempts of mind, these hands ended up listening to my heart, and I dropped him a text wishing a good night.  A minute later, I startled when my phone starts buzzing. No one literally calls me, since everyone who has my number knows that I am mute.

Looking at the caller ID, I took a deep breath before rubbing my heart to smoothen its raging beats. However, jamming my earphones in, I received his video call. Soon the screen displaying caller ID turned into connecting, and I could see his face.

Something is off! I presaged myself. Scrutinizing his back background I can see that he is sitting on the bench kept in some hallway. Where is he? What is he doing there in mid night?

I started looking at him, blankly. I don’t know how he does that but he comprehends my thoughts, and speaks from other side, “Why aren’t you sleeping? I am in hospital.” At that transpired piece of information my eyes widen, and he continues further with, “Mom met with an accident when I was with you. Her condition is still unstable. She.. She needs to undergo through a surgery but with her given physical condition, the surgeons cannot operate her.”

His tears streaming face pains me. I know the pain of losing one’s parents in accident. Opening the chat box, I drop him a text enquiring about hospital. After reading it he tentatively answers, “Viejo Hospital.” At the end of it, I could hear his sob.

Should I visit him? How will I go there? I cannot call my driver at this hour. He too needs rest. It’s not that I don’t know how to drive, it’s just I am not confident enough to start driving on the busy roads.

Whilst I was busy contemplating, some voices sound from other end, “Mr Wang, can we get your attention, it's urgent!” says the person wearing white coat, and suddenly the view captured by camera starts shifting, implying that the hands of device holder are moving .