Something on my Mind

~Thwok~

Something was not right. I felt like I needed to do something, but I just can't do it no matter how hard I tried. This has been going on for days on end, but I couldn't bring myself to tell anyone. All I could do was keep to myself.

I was just walking along the corridor underneath the island, watching as the other Wublins talked and laughed. Heading to my room in a hurry, I kept my head down so I could watch out for the little ones. The last time I stepped on Pixolotl's tail wasn't pretty.

      "Heya, Thwok!" I jumped and turned around to see the small and blue three-eyed Wublin.

      "Hey, Puhtite. Seen Ona around?" I asked her. Oh, forgot mention: I can't really speak well because of my tongue.

      "He's in his room last time I checked."

      "Well, let's go." I proceeded to pick Petite up and head to Bona's room.

Keeping the same pace as before, I eventually made it to a large door with a smaller door attached to it. Petite slid down my shoulder and waltzed into the room. I knocked on the door lightly to alert Bona of my presence.

I watched as the door opened to reveal the massive Wublin behind it. He had pink fluffy fur with blue spots on his arms, legs, and head. His rib cage was completely exposed, and he looked like he had a huge smile on his face. Don't be fooled: that's not a smile.

      "Hi!" Petite exclaimed within Bona's ribcage. I waved and looked at Bona.

      "Listhen, we need to tawk." Bona nodded and moved out of the way so I could get by.

      "What is it?" he questioned in this gruff yet soothing voice.

      "Whell, it's about us."

      "Us?"

      "Yeah. You know, our welashionsip." I could tell by his eyes that he knew what I was talking about.

      "Thwok, we're not telling them a word."

      "But-"

      "Not. A word."

      "But Ona-"

      "ZIP IT!" I backed away, scared out of my mind. Petite jumped out of Bona and ran to me. I stood in fear as Bona towered over me.

~Bona~

We weren't telling anybody a word. I didn't care if it was a life or death situation. My mouth, as wide as this "smile" gets, is staying sealed. I don't know what got into Thwok to say something like that, but I wasn't going to let it happen on my watch.

      "Listen, okay? No one is going to know about us being a thing. Unless you want us dead, then I suggest that you keep your tongue to yourself and go around like nothing's wrong. Understand?" Thwok nodded, but I could tell he was scared out of his mind.

Alright, the truth is this: I don't want our status to go around because I know what happens to such monsters. I've witnessed what Maulch and some of the others did to a lovestruck monster. What happened? They were thrown off the island and are falling in the abyss below it. I don't want the same to happen to me and Thwok, which is why we're keeping silent.

After Thwok left, I sat down and started to think. Petite climbed up my arm and rubbed my shoulder to calm me down. She talked to me about how I was going a bit too harsh on Thwok, but I explained how I was only protecting him. She nodded and went to sleep in my chest for the night. I looked up and started to wonder if there was a place out there where we could be ourselves.

      "Hey, Bona?" Petite asked, startling me. "Can you tell me another story about, you know, 'the outside world'?" I sighed and nodded.

      "In the outside world," I started, "there is this thing called love."

      "What is love?"

      "Love is a feeling that attracts one to another emotionally and affectionately. There are many 'steps' to love. The first step is stranger status."

      "Stranger status?"

      "You don't know the per-er, monster, and the monster doesn't know you."

      "Alrighty. What next?"

      "Then you get to know the monster. That's acquaintance status. After a bit, if you like the monster in a friendly way, then you move on to friend status."

      "That sounds nice."

      "Mhm. Then, after a while, you might feel a lot of affection towards that monster. If that monster feels the same towards you, then you move on to a basic relationship status."

      "Like you and Thwok?"

      "Oh no. We're one step ahead: dedicated relationship status."

      "And what's that?"

      "It's when two monsters share a really close and affectionate bond with each other."

      "And if you go high-" I stopped her right there.

      "Alright, let's slow down there and call it a night. It's starting to get late, anyways."

      "Alrighty then. Night, Bona." I sighed and smiled a bit.

      "Night, Petite."