The Monster of Spooktacular

~Petite~

I remember the cold, and ice, and water. It was scary out there. Something picked me up and flew me over Plant Island. Warm arms held me close as I saw the hotel come into view. They were talking about something, I think, but I wasn't able to hear them clearly.

When I woke up, I saw a line of stripes in front of me. It took me a bit to see the body behind it. I looked up at those pretty purple eyes and watched as Thwok talked with Kayna who was holding me in her arms.

      "Th...Thwok?" I asked weakly. He picked me up and hugged me tightly while explaining what happened.

      "Bona went out to do something, in case you were wondering," Kayna said. I looked at my costume which was still together.

      "Can we go out?" Thwok nodded and left the hotel with Kayna.

Looking around, there was a group of monsters talking with one another. I could hear them talking about Pumpkin Head and how he wasn't around. They were saying that he left early, but this pretty blue string monster said that he would've heard him leave. Thwok and Kayna looked and went over to see what was going on.

      "Hey, what's the matter?" Kayna asked.

      "Well, we're wondering where Punkleton went since we haven't seen him around all night." The weird cymbal monster and the fuzzy monster nodded.

      "Well, that's odd. Usually me and Punkleton would depart at the same time."

      "Exactly. Say, Thwok was it? You haven't seen Bona around recently have you?"

      "Noht at all." I watched as Thwok suddenly panicked and ran around screaming Big Bro's name.

      "Let's go, Big Sis!" I exclaimed as I jumped in Kayna's arms. She smiled and followed Thwok around.

~Punkleton~

I felt dizzy, and I couldn't feel a thing. My eyes opened, and I could see a dark gray room. Trying to stand up, I realized that I was tied to a stump. Glancing over I saw my vines around my hands, and I sighed in defeat.

      "Oh no, I can't get out," I said plainly. "It would be a shame if some monster were to scare me." Silence was all I could hear. Clearly my throat, I repeated myself. "I said, it would be a shame if some monster were to scare me."

Dead silent. The room was dead silent. There were still a few hours before I had to go, but I doubt that I'd be leaving anytime soon. I waited patiently for a monster, any monster to come through that door. It took patience, I told myself. Maybe they're late.

Seconds turned into minutes turned into a few hours, and no monster went through that door. I was getting more anxious the longer I had to wait. What if they forgot about me, I thought to myself. And Spooktacle, and the screams and giggles and the fun Spooktacle games. My bones started rattling in fear as I lost track of time.

~Kayna~

We were running for hours, and we still couldn't find Punkleton. He wasn't in the hotel, in the breeding station, behind the nursery, not even in the pumpkin patch. All of the monsters were looking at this point, and we were all on our toes in suspense.

      "C'mon, monsters. Keep looking!" I encouraged. "I'm sure he's around here somewhere."

I continued following Thwok with Petite in my arms while the other monsters went here and there. Thwok stopped and picked up a piece of pink fur and held it to Petite. Once Petite got a hold of the scent, she jumped out of my arms and started walking.

Following her, we ended up at the castle. I looked at Thwok who was certain about all of this. Without a moment's hesitation we entered the castle and followed Petite. We went down into the basement and continued on our way, hoping to find our missing monsters.

      "They should be right...here!" Petite exclaimed as she pointed to a bolted door.

I touched the lock and went to melt it, but Thwok told me to back up. Obeying him, I watched as his pegs spun around. Clicking could be heard in the lock as the lights flickered around us. Soon, the door was unlocked and we busted in.

~Punkleton~

No monster was coming for me. I was forgotten, I knew I was. My bones rattled in the dark and cold room. This was my tomb, I thought. The tomb that no monster would ever find. Thinking about this made me shiver more.

      "Alright, I surrender!" I yelled. "I'm scared, I'm scared! Just let me go!"

      "I thought so," I heard a deep voice say. I spun around at who was talking to me.

It was the large monster that came with Kayna. I wasn't able to see him clearly, but I could tell who he was by the fur on his arms and legs and the bulky structure. He was looking down at me with glowing yellow eyes, the same eyes the cello fellow had.

      "What? I-"

      "Had an obvious pattern," the monster said. "You hang out with multiple monsters, which is why you were hard to scare. If you were 'alone', it would be easier to make your bones quiver. That was the challenge, wasn't it?"

      "I...you're a clever monster."

      "Same to you, my friend." Behind him I could hear clicking, and a second later the door was busted open.

~Thwok~

      "Ona?" I was confused at what I was seeing. Punkleton was tied to a stump, shaking his bones off while Bona stood in front of him. Kayna stared in awe as Bona came over to me and picked me up.

      "Bona, you scared him?" asked Kayna. "How?"

      "Simple. He hates being alone, so I locked him in here until he broke." I hugged Bona while Petite climbed up my right side and jumped on Bona's head.

      "Big Bro's the best!" she exclaimed. I smiled as Kayna got Punkleton out of his vines.

When we got up to the surface, all of the monsters were crowded around the castle. Punkleton cleared his throat and started at a calm note. Right when he was about to announce the Monster of Spooktacular, Bona chimed in.

      "-Bowgart." Every monster gasped and looked at the blue cello monster.

      "M-Me?" Bowgart looked confused as he looked up at Bona. Bona smiled and continued.

      "You came up with the entire plan while you had me carry it out. So, if any monster should be the Monster of Spooktacular, it should be Bowgart." Every monster cheered in delight as Bowgart smiled with glee. I looked at Bona who winked at me. Getting the hint, I smirked and winked back.