Lying

~Thwok~

If you spent a day with me, you would know that I don't like lying. The concept of it sounds bad enough, but doing it is much worse for those who stay truthful. Lying breaks the trust of those close to me, but if I want to save my skin then I have no choice but to lie.

There was nothing to do or anything to really speak with any monster about, so I sat in the corridor and thought for a few. I heard shuffling, but I didn't bother to look up. I kept thinking about what Bona said back in his room. A bit of color was all it took to get my attention.

      "Are you alright, friend?" Screemu, who was his usual paint-splattered ribbon-tied mess, was knelt down in front of me so we were eye level. Of course his voice sounded wispy and full of light air, but it was better than what I was stuck with.

      "Uh yeah. I'm fhine."

      "You seemed to be in a daze, dear. Is something the matter?" Here is where I had to lie.

      "Uh, yeah Scheemu. I'm puhfectly fhine." I wanted to tell him about me and Bona, but I knew that I couldn't risk putting us in danger.

      "Well dear, you can always come to me if you want to talk about anything." I hated how he talked to me like he was trying to get me to speak. To be honest, it nearly worked.

      "Thanks," I said with a fake smile. Screemu nodded and shuffled away. I saw him meet up with the hesitant Gheegur and speak to him while walking off. I wondered if they were planning something behind our backs.

~Bona~

I woke up without Petite by my side. She was probably picked up by Pixolotl and is now playing tag with him on the island. I sighed and messed with a few bones and pencils on the desk I was sitting at. For days I've been thinking about the human world and what it was like up there.

Shuffling broke me out of my thoughts. I turned around to see no one in the room with me. I then looked at the ground and saw a lump on the ground followed by a tunnel from underneath the door. I watched as the mighty general of dirt emerged from the lump in the ground.

      "Bona," he announced in this annoying commander voice.

      "Maulch."

      "What are you doing here alone, mm? Thought you would be babysitting the little one."

      "That 'little one' is my sister, and she can take care of herself. Plus, she's with Pixolotl, so she'll be fine."

      "Confident now, are we? Confidence can get you in trouble, you know."

      "You of all monsters know that I'm not that egotistical." Maulch studied me from the fur on my head to the claws on my feet.

      "Where'd you learn that type of fancy wording, eh?"

      "It's called a dictionary," I explained as I held up a green book with blue text. Maulch sighed.

      "Just stay out of trouble, kay?"

      "Got it." Maulch shot me a suspicious look before disappearing into the tunnel he made. I sighed and covered the hole up.

Of course I lied. I heard that people in the human world lie all the time in different ways, so I assumed that it was normal. I know it's wrong, but it's only wrong in unnecessary situations. I mean, for all I know the dictionary I held up wasn't a real one. The only reason why I know those words is because I heard them in the human world before. If only I stayed there longer would I have so few questions to answer on my own.