Suspicion

~Thwok~

I have been lying for a while now. No monster has seemed to pick up on me and Bona, nor has any monster talked to us while we were together. But something just did not feel right, like a pattern has been altered without any monster noticing.

For the past few days, I've been watching Screemu and Gheegur talking amongst themselves. Sometimes Tympa would join the conversation with a few drum noises. I've noticed the way they talked, with Screemu speaking in a quiet voice and Gheegur blowing a few horns in some sort of sequence. What I also noticed was how they would be alone together when they talked.

After a while of watching the two, I decided to go up to them and join the chatting. I didn't want to scare them, so I calmed myself and walked down the hallway. They both saw me and quickly changed their tone of voice.

      "Um, hello there, Thwok," Screemu greeted in a nervous manner. "How are you?"

      "Oh, I'm fhine," I replied while watching the two. "Whacha tawking about?" Gheegur blew a horn, but Screemu shut him up.

      "We were, um, planning a surprise! For Bona!" Gheegur quickly nodded and looked at Screemu.

      "Uh supwise? Aulright then. Cacha two latuh!" I walked away and watched Screemu and Gheegur talking silently again.

A surprise for Bona, huh? I didn't understand what they were talking about, but I wanted to know what was really going on. I felt something watching me, so I turned around. Nothing was there, so I continued on my way to Bona's room.

~Bona~

Petite has been out with Pixolotl longer and longer each day. The only time I get to see her is when we're about to go to bed. This sudden change has worried me a lot and has started to make me think a bit.

During this time, Maulch has also appeared in my room every now and again. Much more frequently than usual, actually. I gave up patching the hole in the ground that's how constant the visits are. One visit, however, made me start thinking.

I was at my desk just messing around with the pencils scattered about. Usually, Maulch would announce his presence, but this time around he snuck up on me. As soon as he tapped my shoulder, I jumped up and got ready to attack him.

      "Easy, sergeant," he said in his gruff voice.

      "What was that for?!"

      "We need to talk. Have a seat." I sat back down and looked at him in the eye. "Now, is there something going on?"

      "What are you talking about?"

      "With you and your friend. Thwok?"

      "I don't know what you mean."

      "You've been a bit closer to him than normal."

      "We're good friends. Something wrong with that?"

      "No no! Not at all, sergeant. Just making sure you and Thwok aren't doing anything, you know, bad."

      "We're just. Friends."

      "Alright, alright." Maulch bid me goodbye and disappeared into the tunnel.

I faced the desk again and sighed, wondering why Maulch asked such a question. No, I knew why: it was because he's trying to figure out my relationship with Thwok. I leaned back and heard the door open.

      "Ona?"

      "Thwok."

      "Do you fhil lhike somefhing is going on?" I sighed and turned around.

      "I hate to admit it, but I do think something's wrong around here."

      "Do you think?"

      "Sadly, I do."

~Screemu~

After Thwok left, I went with Gheegur to the general's office to give him more information on the matter. I thanked myself for the quick thinking back with Thwok. If I hadn't shut Gheegur up, then we would've been thrown into the abyss.

When we got to the door, I knocked on it in a certain pattern. As soon as I heard the loud thump, I opened the door and walked in with Gheegur. We were careful about the tunnels on the ground. I looked up at the general  who's was turned away from us.

      "Thwok is onto us, sir."

      "So is the other one," he replied. I shivered a bit at his voice.

      "I do, however, have some news. It involves the sister." The general looked at me with intimidating eyes.

      "Do tell me."

      "She was told about a feeling known as love..."