Chapter 2

Usually after school. Hana would walk home together with Soma since Hana both lived under the same roof. Today, Hana was tasked to buy ingredients for tomorrow's breakfast. Hana wanted to leave him midway but Soma told Hana that they can do it together. Both of them stopped midway to buy some ingredients for tomorrow's breakfast. As both of them walked on the bridge that led towards the other side of the busy street, he felt the vibration in his pocket and reached into his pocket. Pulling out his phone, he placed it near his ear and answered a call.

"Hey, Dad?"

"Yeah. Hana home yet?"

"No, We're heading home now. We went to the convenience store to pick up some stuff for breakfast. What's up?"

"I'm out taking care of some things today."

"Yeah? That's unusual"

"I won't be home until tomorrow, so Hana and you don't have to open the restaurant. Enjoy a day off, both you and Hana have been working well. Make sure that Hana doesn't overwork herself and take good care of her."

"Okay."

"Hey.....What do you plan to do after middle school?"

"You should know that. I'll study cooking at the restaurant. Like Hana"

"I see." With that, Soma's father hung up.

"What was that about?" he muttered to himself and shoved his phone back into his pocket. 'And.....What's so important that he'd close the restaurant for a day? My dad doesn't talk about himself much. Now that I think about it, I might not know anything at all about my dad as a chef.' he silently thought to himself making Hana wonder what was on his mind, Hana heard his conversation with his father, but Hana couldn't tell what he was thinking now. Not long after the phone call, Hana both reached the restaurant and entered through the backyard. Soma unlocked the green door and closed the wooden gate behind. Hana entered the restaurant first and the view in front of Hana made her eyes go wide in shock.

On the ground was raw meat covered in other ingredients. Flour, baking powder, corn starch, milk, everything was ruined. Turning her head slightly, Hana noticed that everything in the fridge was ruined. Hana walked further into the kitchen, taking note that everything in the fridge was ruined.

"The meat is ruined?" Soma questioned as he looked down onto the meat that was covered in mayonnaise.

"Everything in the fridge too...." Hana stated, as Soma closed the door and walked towards where Hana usually cooks for the custom. Besides the stove, there was also a fridge.

"A burglar? No, a burglar wouldn't do this." red-haired male stated. Averting her gaze, Hana noticed the door to the restaurant was a quarter open. Tossing her bag aside, Hana rushed outside. Soma followed Hana wordlessly. Arriving outside, Hana looked around to see no one. Soma stepped outside and heard a drip. Slowly, very slowly, Hana both turned around and saw that the canopy was covered with white liquid.

"Oh my! Things here appear to be much more in order than yesterday. Maybe it's because that ugly sign is covered up." Hana both recognized that voice very well. Hana didn't seem really surprised anymore, more than that, Hana was angry at this underhanded way they were using. Hana mustn't get too fired up, that was what they wanted.

"Ah.....Somehow I'm in the mood to eat some meat. That marbled steak I always have in Roppongi is just the best!" she exclaimed and waltzed into the restaurant, taking off her glasses.

"The juice just fills up my mouth. Hey, you two....." she sat on a random chair inside the restaurant and looked at the both of Hana.

"Make me the juiciest meat dish you can make. Oh? Don't tell me you can't make it. Your customer is asking for meat. Can't you serve it? Little girl, didn't you tell me yesterday.....that if you couldn't serve a customer, you'd go out of business? Your sign already looks much better. It's perfect timing. You should shut down this restaurant." Afterwards, she laughed loudly at both Hana and Soma's pathetic state.