Chapter - 9

Soma thanked Isshiki before cutting the fish with his chopsticks, he moved it towards his mouth before taking a taste of the mackerel, his eyes widened in pure shock. 'It's heavenly! This dish maximizes the seasonal ingredients of spring! How could he put together such a delicate dish in so little time?! He's head and shoulders above all the other students in this dorm! And he's just a second year! Is that already enough to make something like this?' He was snapped out of his thoughts when Isshiki called him. The male pulled the white band off his head, revealing his messy hair.

"Allow me to re-introduce myself: I'm one of the Totsuki Elite Ten.....The seventh seat.....Isshiki Satoshi." he smirked.

"You're.....one of the Elite Ten?!" Soma said in a surprised tone.

"Now.....I'd like to try your cooking next, Soma-Kun. I wonder what dish you'll make." Silence filled the air. Soma was in a state of pure shock.

"Show me what narrative you'll create on your plate," Isshiki stated. Soma sat there and thought to himself, his mind immediately flashed back to the moment when his father sent him Totsuki. 'I guess I kind of get why Dad sent me here now.' he smiled to himself and abruptly stood up, unwrapping the white headband on his left wrist.

"Hang onto your seat!

"Ow.....what happened?" Hana mumbled, looking at your surroundings with half-lidded eyes. It was hard to wake up when her surroundings were dark. She noticed that she was on the floor with a blanket on her form. Sitting up, she noticed that everyone was already sleeping — wasted. Soma was thinking about something. When her vision finally cleared, she saw Isshiki sitting across Soma with a competitive look in his blue eyes.

'Isshiki-senpai's dish: Spanish mackerel with Chinese pepper and a puree.' When Soma thought that, he glanced back at Isshiki who was sitting crossed legged in front on him — still wearing nothing but an apron.

"Does your family run a traditional Japanese restaurant, by any chance?" Soma questioned. Once he said that Hana noticed a dish being presented in front of Soma which she thought was made by Isshiki. Something was going on and she was going to stay up until she finds out what's going on between Soma and Isshiki.

"Why do you think that?" Isshiki looked at Soma with a sly grin.

"Spanish mackerel grilled with Chinese pepper is a common Japanese dish, but it can't be made this well by just any establishment." Isshiki gave a short and quiet laugh as a response as he cupped his chin with his thumb and index finger. Soma then directed his gaze towards the mackerel once again. He glanced at Hana who was awake. 'A show-off, huh. Maybe that's not it.' Hana said to herself.

"Oh, sorry to wake you up, Hana. Here, try this dish Isshiki-senpai made. And tell me what you think about it." Soma stated as he cut another piece of the mackerel before moving it closer to her lips. A questioning look made it's way to her face but she complied to his request anyway. She took a bite without hesitation.

'The mackerel is grilled to delicate perfection. It's paired with a surprising puree featuring spring cabbage. But its mild smooth sweetness is a perfect complement to the mackerel. Spanish mackerel is in season in spring and the spring cabbage heightens each other's flavours in this pairing. It's so festive, it's as if I'm basking in the spring sunshine.' Hana said softly as she continued to enjoy the flavour that was left in her mouth.

"Delicious." she eyed Soma, with a smile on her lips.

Soma sweatdropped and looked at her slightly flushed face. Hana watched as he stands up, she wanted to learn what was going on However knowing Soma this has to be a cook-off.