3| Tragedy

Chapter 3: Tragedy (Alex's POV)

I woke up the next morning, repeated the same routine I do every day to get ready, and then headed out to the cafe. I walked while bobbing my head to the song that was playing in my ears, lip-syncing with the words, and feeling better than most days. There was no chaos this morning and I was able to sleep last night. 

Unlike most nights. 

I had a bounce to my step as I walked in rhythm with the song, stopping at the cafe. I continued listening to music, just stopped dancing, as I opened the door and walked to the counter, ordering my usual. 

I took a seat at my table, my head bobbing a little helplessly. Everyone grooves a little to good music, you just can't help it. I sat down and got started on my laptop, only to be snapped out of moments later. 

"Your tea!" 

I looked up, startled while ripping my earphone out of one ear to see Katy standing there. 

"Sorry," I said sheepishly. She shook her head and laughed before heading back while I put my earphones back and continued. 

Just like most days, I spent about an hour here before packing up and leaving. I was curious to see if he would leave another drawing, so I wanted to go back and see. I left and sat on the bench outside, a few feet away, where I finished my tea. Maybe I'll just get a coffee for Hannah as an excuse. 

I walked back in moments later while he began packing his stuff. "Can I get a caramel latte, please?" 

"Who's the coffee for?" Katy asked. 

"It's for Hannah," I replied while handing her the money. 

"Just wait a minute, it's coming right up," she smiled. 

I went back and sat at the table. He wouldn't leave it if I was still sitting here, right? He pulled his backpack over his shoulder before walking by my table, leaving a tissue on his way out. He's so subtle with that, no wonder nobody notices. I looked out the window as he walked by. 

He looked at me and threw me a wink before continuing his walk. I picked up the tissue and assessed the drawing. It was a sketch of tangled earphones. Like really tangled. 

"Alex!" 

I got up, grabbed my coffee, tipped the jar, and then left. I tucked the tissue into my back pocket and headed into the school building. I walked to my locker where a few feet away, Carter stood at his. 

"Hey!" I snapped out of my thoughts when Hannah came and stood beside me. 

"Hey, I got you coffee," I said while handing her the cup, "Didn't want you falling asleep in class. Again." 

She grinned at me before squeezing me into a hug. "God, I love you," she squealed. 

"It's just coffee, Han," I chuckled while grabbing my books and then closing my locker. 

"You know, Mr. Gotham said we might be going to Toulouse this year," she said in between sips. 

"That's great," I replied. 

"Why not Paris though? Imagine how fun it would be," she pouted, clicking her tongue in frustration. "Where is the Spanish class going?" she questioned. 

"We're supposed to go to Barcelona and Madrid. I doubt it though, who'd wanna go with Mrs. Rodriguez?" I scrunched up my nose while we entered the classroom and sat down. 

"She can't be that bad," she said. 

"Believe me, she is." We looked up at the unknown voice and saw Carter. "Hey," he nodded at me before sitting in his seat.