46| Taking charge

Chapter 46: Taking charge (Alex's POV)

I pulled away from the kiss and looked down at him, seemingly confused. He raised his eyebrows at me questioningly. "You're different," I stated. 

"Different how?" he questioned. 

"Just different," I whispered before pulling his lips back to mine. I pecked his lips before pulling away a minute or so into the kiss. I scrutinized him under my gaze and tried to decipher what he wasn't telling me. I could feel it. "Something else happened, didn't it?" I asked knowingly. 

He sighed in defeat and nodded. 

"What?" I questioned. 

"Clark was at my house this morning. When I left for school," he answered. 

"Why was he there? And why is that so worrying?" I asked. 

"You know that we don't get along with him. Nobody in the family does. Everyone's kind of... scared of him," he revealed. 

"Why?" I pried. 

"He knows some people. People nobody wants to get involved with." 

"Carter, what does he do?" 

He sighed and looked up at me, "He gambles." 

"Like- gambles? Illegally?" 

He nodded in response and I sighed loudly. "That's why Zach moved out. This one time, when he was still in high school, these people that Clark owed money broke into the house and almost found Zach. They could have killed him. He was able to hide in the attic. I think that's why Clark wanted the gym," he explained. 

"You think he owes somebody?" I clarified. 

"Yeah. If he wanted the gym he could have taken it earlier. But now... five years after Zach's been running it, it just doesn't make sense. Something's off. And I'm worried he'll pull my dad into his mess too." 

I brushed his hair out of his face and tilted his chin up so he looked at me. "I think your dad knows what he's doing. He'll be fine, just warn him. Tell him you're worried. But I'm sure he'll be just fine," I said reassuringly. 

"I hope so," he sighed. 

"Are you hungry? I can make chicken wings," I said, poking his cheek, trying to lighten the mood a little. 

"I don't want chicken wings," he replied. 

"What do you want?" I asked. He didn't answer, just stared at me. "I'm just gonna order in then," I said while hopping off the counter. I headed to grab the house phone but he grabbed my wrist and pulled me back, placing his lips back on mine. "Someone's a little needy," I chuckled between the kisses. 

"I haven't kissed you in a little over a week, all right?" he mumbled, walking forward till my feet hit the bottom of the stairs. I took the step up but I knew my clumsiness would lead me to fall, so I pulled away and took him up to my room. He closed the door and had me standing against it while he kissed me. 

The kiss became hastier and rougher until he broke it and threw his shirt off his head, pulling mine off moments later. I placed my hand on his chest and pushed him away when I heard the front door open. 

"I'm gonna kill whoever that is," he whispered, his breathing a little rougher. I bit back a laugh and listened in carefully. 

"Alex, are you home?!" my dad called out. I heard his footsteps coming up the stairs and grabbed our clothes before running into the bathroom with him. My bedroom door opened just as I locked the bathroom door. "Alex, are you home?!"