15| Pajamas

Chapter 15: Pajamas (Alex's POV)

We walked into school, heading for first period English. I was excited because sitting and working with Carter was fun. He made everything funny. But I was also nervous because Hudson was in that class.

We were sitting there and as slowly the class began filing in, we began noticing a pattern. Almost everyone was wearing their pajamas and had quite literally rolled out of bed this morning.

Carter and I looked at each other before looking at everyone else. "I guess her party last night must have been a rager. If everyone is that hungover then-" he stopped talking when Abby herself stumbled in, seeming drunk.

Like she drank so much that she was still drunk instead of hungover. "You." She pointed her finger right at me before walking over, grabbing onto desks for support on the way. "You liar."

"I technically didn't say anything," I stated. Well...

"She just agreed with what I said," Carter spoke up.

"You!" Abby yelled at him. Everyone groaned and placed their hands over their ears like her voice was deafening them all.

Connor and Hannah walked in while talking and swiveled right around, ready to skip the first period but Mr. Blaze stood right behind them. "Come on now," he said, pushing them back into the classroom.

"You are a lying scumbag, Carter Reed," Abby slurred.

"Ms. Forrester. The principal's office awaits you. Head on out, please," Mr. Blaze sighed, holding the door open because as far as I knew, she would probably walk right into it. She scoffed before stumbling back out, going in the wrong direction. "Now, the ones who are sober," he huffed, "Continue with the work from last class."

Hudson walked in late with his dramatic entrance. He loves having all the attention. In fact, he hates it when the focus isn't on him, which was another reason why he didn't like me hanging out with other people.

"You're late, Mr. Peterson. Your partner is not here, so pick a group and work with them please."

Carter and I both stiffened in our seats while Hudson glanced around the room. "Do you think if we look like we're working we can avoid him?" he whispered.

"Maybe, but we have to try," I replied. Carter and I both turned in our seats to face each other and began talking about various scenes from the play in hushed tones.

"I'll work with Alex."

"Alex and Carter, that's who you would like to work with?" Mr. Blaze asked.

Hudson nodded.

"Sir, we're almost done. It's not fair if he just gets to come in and write the essay that we came up with and get full credit." Carter lied flawlessly. He had no tell.

"I'm sure Hudson can add to the group," Mr. Blaze shrugged.

"Sir, we're almost done, please," I said. He probably understood my plea because he nodded.

"Please pick another group, Hudson. A group where you can participate more." I let out a sigh of relief and sank back in my chair.

"Whoever you pick, sir," he replied. Mr. Blaze assigned him to work with Jamie and Oscar who were sitting to my right. Hudson came and took a seat to my right and I resisted cursing into the void.

Carter grabbed the legs of my chair and pulled it closer to his before standing up.

"What are you doing?" I asked.