18| Giddy

Chapter 18: Giddy (Alex's POV)

"I'm about to get in trouble," I sighed while pulling my back over my shoulder, taking it from him. 

"Why?" he frowned. 

"You don't think the school would have informed my dad that I didn't show up today?" I asked. 

He probably realized that I was right because he looked down at the ground sheepishly while scratching the back of his neck. "Hmm," he chuckled, "Maybe I shouldn't have let you skip," he admitted. 

"I'm the one who suggested it. Anyway, I'll see you tomorrow," I said while turning around to head to my door. 

"Alex," he called out, making me turn to face him, "Just give me a call if you need anything, okay? Anything.

I nodded before waving him bye and going inside. We were out the entire day, it was now six pm and if my dad was home right now, then I was in trouble. I opened the door and walked in slowly, heading to the kitchen first. The place was quiet so I assumed he wasn't home. 

I let out a sigh of relief while setting my bag down on the counter and heading to the pantry. "Food!" I grinned while opening it. I grabbed some snacks and closed the pantry, jumping when my mom stood there, arms folded across her chest. "Jesus," I huffed. 

"Where were you?" she asked. 

That's the first time I've heard her ask that question in a really long time. 

"I was out," I shrugged. 

"Out where? With who?" 

"Why are you asking? You never do," I stated. 

"Just because I don't ask doesn't mean I don't notice. You're usually home by four-thirty. Where were you?" she repeated. 

"I was out with a friend, relax," I said while grabbing my bag. 

"That boy? Mr. Reed's son?" she questioned. 

"Yes, mom. Mr. Reed's son," I answered. 

"You skipped school today," she pointed out. I turned to her with a sigh. "I'm still your mother. The school is still obligated to notify me," she stood with her arms folded across her chest, her tone stern. 

"Glad they did," I replied. 

"Alexandria, I don't want you seeing that boy. He doesn't seem to be a good influence on you, I don't want to see him around this house again," she said sternly but I stopped listening at Alexandria. 

I huffed while the front door opened and my dad walked in. "Hey, kiddo," he said while walking over to me and kissing the top of my head before setting his stuff down. "What is going on?" he asked. 

I didn't want them arguing, so I decided not to say anything, but my mom just put out the platter for herself. 

"Your daughter skipped the entire day at school today," she announced. I sat down. 

This will take a while. 

"Did you?" he asked. 

"Yeah, I did." 

"Why did you do that?" he asked calmly. 

"The same reason I didn't stay here last night," I shrugged. 

"You didn't stay here last night? What do you mean?" my mom asked. 

"Well, if you two would have taken a minute from the arguing, you would have noticed me walking out at night and not coming back until dawn. I only came back to get dressed for school, but I didn't want to go because last night I was here, listening to you two argue, and I was so exhausted that going to school seemed like something that would drain the life out of me so..." I sighed, "I skipped school. Anything else?" I asked.