13| Toxic

Chapter 13: Toxic (Alex's POV)

I waited, and waited, and waited. But Carter didn't show up. I had ten minutes left till my next period so I grabbed my cup, feeling angry and disappointed at the same time before heading out and back to the school. I used the back gate, which led me to the hallway where the boy's locker room is. I entered the hallway and stopped. 

Carter stood there, leaning against the wall with Abby standing in front of him, going off. He tilted his head and saw me, immediately straightening up. 

I stepped closer to listen in and Abby was so engrossed in her rant, that she didn't even realize I was standing there. 

"You are lying to me, Carter. Tell me why you won't go out with me! Tell me!" Is she insane? 

"Because I have a girlfriend!" he blurted. 

"You have a girlfriend? Who?" 

He stalled. He was stalling. He was trying to think of someone. His eyes met mine and I knew I should have run out of there. My eyes widened and I slowly shook my head while beginning to head back to the exit. 

"Alex! There you are!" 

Idiot. 

I halted and turned around, plastering a smile to my face. "Hey," I smiled. 

"Is it her?" Abby questioned. 

"No." 

"Yes." 

"Why is she saying no?" She looked at Carter quizzically while he walked over to me. 

"Because we weren't planning on telling anybody, right babe?" he asked, looking down at me. "Please, please, please, Alex. I will buy you a thousand chocolates, please," he whispered. 

"I don't like chocolate that much," I mumbled, looking up at him. 

"I will buy you a thousand teddy bears, please, please, please," he begged. 

"Hmm," I smirked. 

His arm went around my waist and his grip tightened. 

"Yeah, that's right. We weren't planning on telling anyone." He let out a sigh of relief as soon as those words came out of my mouth and his grip relaxed a little. 

"You are his girlfriend?" she asked, incredulously. 

I sighed and turned to him, "You wanna explain?" I asked. The bell rang and saved us, so both of us, quite literally, just ran. We had Spanish right now so we headed straight to class. "Are you insane, Carter? Like seriously, why would you do that?" I whisper-yelled as we walked into class and to our seats while everyone stared, probably wondering who the hell Carter Reed had just walked in with. 

"I didn't know what else to say," he defended himself. 

"So you-" I stopped talking when Mrs. Rodriguez walked in. "So you said I was your girlfriend? Are you stupid?" I whisper-yelled once again while crouching down and grabbing my books from my bag as he sat in his seat behind mine. 

"Sorry. She won't do anything though," he mumbled, "I think." 

I am going to kill him. 

"Numero doce!" she announced and we all opened our books. 

"I'm sorry, Alex," he whispered, poking my back with his pencil. I flipped him the finger and he chuckled before I heard a thud. 

Everyone turned to him. He had put his head down on the table a little too hard for his own good. "Ow," he winced while rubbing his forehead. I shook my head and bit back a laugh while Mrs. Rodriguez glared at him.