28| Racing

Chapter 28: Racing (Carter's POV)

I got off the seat that I was standing on and went and sat outside, looking at the lady sheepishly. She chuckled and shook her head before walking away. The door opened moments later and she walked out wearing the red dress. "What do you think?" she asked while spinning in a circle. 

"You look great," I said breathlessly. 

"Doesn't it kind of look like the dress I wore last time?" she said while looking at herself in the mirror. 

"A little bit," I mumbled. 

"Hmm. Not this one then," she said before going back inside. She walked out next in the royal blue dress trailing behind her. "I can't wear this." 

"Why not? You look so good," I frowned. 

"Carter, I'm five foot three. This dress is like seven feet tall. Look at that," she said while looking at the trail of fabric behind her. "I'm going to fall." 

"Okay, try the next one," I chuckled. She came out in the emerald green one next. "That one looks good," I said while checking her up and down. 

"It shows a lot of..." she trailed off, looking at herself in the mirror. "Boob." 

I stood up and walked over, "Then you don't have to worry. You don't have any," I shrugged. She smacked my chest while assessing herself in the mirror. "I'm kidding. It looks fine, just try the other two." I tucked her hair behind her ear before she went back. 

"I feel like the purple is too dark, no? And I don't have heels to go with this," she clicked her tongue while looking at herself. 

"You don't have to wear heels," I shrugged. 

"No heels. No dress." I sighed while leaning against the wall as she tried on the last one. 

If this isn't it, we'll be here for a while. 

She stepped out while pulling it lower and adjusting the thin straps. She was talking. Her lips were moving. But I was not listening. I was too busy staring. She looked breathtakingly stunning. I could feel my heart racing and the blood pumping through my veins just looking at her. 

"Hello?" She snapped her fingers in front of my face and I came back to reality. 

"I think I just got attracted to you all over again," I said. 

"It's so short," she whined. 

"No, it's not," I argued, "It's perfect. And you definitely have silver heels, who doesn't? Oh, my God. I don't know if I want you to go out like that. I might have a heart attack," I said while placing my hand on my heart that I was genuinely getting worried for. 

"You're just exaggerating. Really? This one?" she asked. 

"One thousand percent. It looks like it's easy to take off too," I smirked. She rolled her eyes at me and pinched my ear. 

"Ow," I winced before she went back inside to change. She came out with all the dresses in her hands. 

"Decided?" the lady asked. 

"This one, please," she handed it to the lady with a smile. 

"Okay, that'll be three hundred dollars." 

Alex grabbed my arm before I could grab my wallet. "Carter," she sighed, "Please don't. I have dresses at home. We'll just pick one," she whispered. 

"The whole point of me bringing you here was to buy you a dress. Is it so bad I want to spoil you a little?" I whispered. 

"Yes, it is. Very bad," she replied.