41| Overdose

Chapter 41: Overdose (Alex's POV)

It was Friday. It was Friday. The same Friday that Abby's throwing the party on. The same Friday we made our so-called master plan for. The same Friday I was going to prove to Carter that I'm not a cheater, nor am I a liar. 

"Ready?" Hannah sang, excitement taking over her senses. 

"I don't know why you're excited about this. I could die," I mumbled. 

"You can't die. I don't think," she mumbled the last bit to herself, "And I'm excited because you look great. Carter is going to be floored," she squealed before sitting down on the edge of my bed and pulling her heels on. 

"It's a plain black dress with black heels. I don't get it," I said while putting my heels on as well. 

"Black is just better, babe." She shrugged at me as we stood up. 

I was wearing exactly what I had just said. Black heels, black dress. Hannah made me put my hair up in a low bun, which I never do. She wanted me to do a french twist. Whatever the hell that is. Now that she did it to my hair after cursing me for having such long hair, she managed to put it together. 

"Is Connor coming to get us?" I asked as we descended the stairs. 

"Yup, he should be here any second." 

"I'll tell my dad until then." I went to his study and knocked on the door before poking my head in. "Hello," I said. 

"Hey," he said absentmindedly. 

"Dad, Hannah, and I are gonna head out now. I'll be home late, don't wait up. And if I don't come then-" 

"Then you're staying at Carter's, I know," he said, waving his hand dismissively. 

"No, I'm not," I said hesitantly. 

"What do you mean?" he asked. 

"I'll just stay at Abby's, it makes more sense," I shrugged. 

"Honey, is everything okay?" 

Before I could answer, Hannah called me. "Connor's here!" she yelled. 

"I gotta go, I'll see you tomorrow morning, bye," I waved before leaving. 

"Ladies," Connor and Zach nodded in sync. 

"Gentlemen," I sighed while sliding into the back with Hannah. We got there quickly and then hopped out. 

"Good luck," Zach sang before pushing the door open. Connor and Hannah led the way in, Zach and I followed. Abby was first to pop out and say her hellos, giving us all quick hugs, Zach's lasting longer. 

I noticed. 

"Now what?" I asked her while she stood between Zach and me. 

"Now we wait for him to get here. And then after midnight, you sit in the kitchen by yourself." 

"Keep yourself surrounded by people at all times, if possible Carter," Zach said. I looked at him. "If possible. Otherwise, one of us," he said. 

I nodded and then we all went into the backyard together where most people were this time. Everyone was out here playing beer pong and I was watching. Carter came in with some guys from the team and stood on one side of the table with Jamie. 

"Two ladies on the other team please," Jamie sang. Carter rolled his eyes while bouncing the ping pong ball on the table. 

"I'll do it," Abby shrugged while going up. "Girls? Anyone?" she asked while looking around.