Chapter one

I WROTE THIS WHEN I WAS 17! ITS CRINGY! READ AT TYOUR OWN RISK! 

Cold. That's all I can think about. The small snowflakes feel like i'm constantly being burned.  It aches. The bitter cool breeze hitting my legs as I run down the almost deserted mountain. I can hear the howl of coyotes telling their pack they found food.  With every step I take, my feet falls deeper into the snow. The trees that are now painted white from all the snow are starting to disappear into the night sky. 

   "Ellie? Ellie, answer me. Come on! It's our first last day of high school! Don't want to be late, butthead!." I hear my roommate, and best friend, Mackenzie, yelling at me through the doorway of our room. Starling me awake. Feeling the cold sweats on my forehead. Its like I can still feel the snow covering my feet, from the reacurring nightmare.

   I slowly sit up in my bed, wiping the sleep from my eyes. The bright sun waves, that shine through my window, burns my eyes, making it hard to open them.

   "Im up, kenzi. Everything is good in here." I say back at her, as she walks toward the kitchen. My eyes finally adjust to the late morning sun. I looked around  my tiny four walled codnor. I sweep my legs out from under the warm blanket, the bitter cold air hitting my naked legs. A small shiver runs through my spine, as I stand.

   As I walk across the cold wooden floors, I dread the day that's ahead of me. As I walk up to my dresser, I see a girl that looks like me, but yet, isnt. My fiery red hair gently rest on my shoulders. My dull blue eyes staring at me, seeing no sign of life in them. I've been like this for a while now. It's hard to push past all the pain, but I do it for Kenzi. Everything I do now is for her. Everytime I see her worry about me, makes my heart break a little every time. 

I sigh as I open the top draw to my poorly painted white dresser. I grab a black band t-shirt, tossing it on my bed. Taking a small step to the left, I reach my closet. I pull out the first pair of jeans I see. A pair of light blue skinny jeans, with fake pockets. Why with the damn fake pockets? I swear, Ill switch from female pants to male. It's going to happen.

   I slowly get dressed, and pull my hair into a small bun on the back of my head. Wrapping a thin, black hair tie around the bun, letting the hair tie snap my head as I let go. I slip on a pair of black socks. I covered the socks with my white converse.  I turn towards the door, staring at it for a few minutes, getting up the courage to get on with my horrid new day. I reach the door, pulling it open, hearing the door creak open, like in a scary movie.

   I walked down the hall, seeing Kenzi sitting at the kitchen table, eating pancakes. Her shiny, blonde hair in an elegant ponytail. Her beautiful, tan legs are hidden by her grey pantsuit. She is the only Person I know, that can make something so simple, look absolutely stunning.

   "Ah, She's alive!" Kenzi says ecstatically while she gets up from her chair with her plate. Her bright blue eyes meeting mine, as her smile lights up the entire room. I slightly nod at her, as I walk into the kitchen to grab my normal berry smoothie that kenzis mom, Jessica makes me every morning. I suck up the thick,cold, dark purple drink.

   I look up at Kenzi as she starts to wash her plate. " Are you ready for our last first day of school?"  I see her stop washing her dish. Not moving. Frozen in time. Kenzi loves school, she always have. I'm not sure if she wants it to be over yet.

   After what felt like a century, she finally turned to face me. A facial expression I can't read. She slowly opens her mouth, but ends up shutting it again.

"So, does this mean our childhood is over? Kenzi smiles slightly at me. I just nod my head as I swollen a drink of my smoothie.

"Yup, and we start college in less than a year." I asked Kenzi, as she straighten out her shirt. All she did was nod her head. I just frowned at her. What's gotten into her? She's been talking about being seniors for years now. She always said that this was going to be her year. Kenzi has always been in the popular crowd, me on the other hand, not so much. I was more of an outcast. My only friend was Kenzi. I mean, I have acquaintances, but their not really my friends.