15.

Linden.

"I love you."

"Honey wake up! You know it's your favorite day of the week." I had been dreaming about yesterday, the date was perfect, I reconnected with my boyfriend.

Got a ride on his wolf, learned something about him, something I assumed only those who knew he was a wolf knew and now I would get to know that too, and parts of him people didn't know.

Like how he's addicted to my smoothies or how he's the one who finishes his mom's jar of Nutella in three days, his love for poetry and how he's shit scared of spiders.

It was weird that he's a wolf and he had an irrational fear of spiders, it was cute too and it made him unique, I was learning bit by bit about Emric and it made me feel good, happy honestly.

It was Monday, best day of the week and today I would be receiving what I think will be my acceptance letter from Algiers Institute of Medicine,  though it's a great opportunity I don't think I can do it whilst staying there, maybe when I need to hand in my work.

It's been bothering me every time I thought about it, go to North City University or go to Algiers, both have great universities but when I think about leaving Em, I can't stomach the thought.

I had a third option, do all my courses online, apply to the vet school here in St Maine, and have them represent me as one of their own at Algiers Institute.

It's troubling because I haven't decided what to do and I haven't told anyone even my mom and I don't how she will handle another one of her children leaving her, my brother already left for North City University which is like a whole country away from here.

I don't want to do that to my mom or my boyfriend, I guess I had to make a decision and hope it was the right now, I didn't want to screw up my life when now it's right, not perfect but right enough.

"Linden get up, you're gonna be late!!" I immediately got out of bed, I wondered what mom was doing here on a Monday, one day she never was really home.

I walked to my bathroom, did my morning routine to perfection, I threw on one of Emric's hoodies, I hadn't worn one in a while and pants that were snug enough.

I didn't train with Emric this morning because he had morning patrol with the pack, since the incident with rogues, I learned about those, they are trying to tighten security around pack territory.

Surprisingly enough my house is in pack territory before I didn't know that, I couldn't see the wolves before and now that I know about it they aren't so hard to spot anymore.

I style my hair differently and put on my glasses, I could've worm contacts but glasses would do, for now, I only wore contacts on special occasions and I hadn't had those in a while.

Walking downstairs I could smell food all the way to the kitchen, I was shocked to see my mom with a man in the house, she had never let any man into the house before.

It was alarming honestly, I started to question how long this had been going on. "Morning mom, why are you home, and who's this?" I tried to ask with a little subtlety.

"Hey honey this is my boyfriend." That made my gears turn. "Boyfriend, since when do you have a boyfriend, no offense I know you're here but when did this happen?" I was baffled honestly.

My mother had a boyfriend and didn't have the decency to even tell me or warn me that there would be a 6'1 male in the house drinking one of my smoothies.

"I was going to tell you, my car broke down on the way home, I called him and he drove me home, it's been a while since we started seeing each other." Well, I didn't know what to say to that.

"Well aslong as you're happy mom, try not to give me a heart attack next time and you mister hurt my mom I will chop off your dick and feed it to you, then remove one of everything from your body." My mother gasped and the guy nodded vigorously.

He put his hand on my shoulder and that's when he sniffed, a little too much and I knew to back away, he couldn't possibly be a wolf but I knew better. Luckily Emric honked outside, I grabbed our smoothies, my lunch and ran out.

Whatever that was, I didn't feel comfortable, at all. I ran to Emric's car and banged the door when I got in. "Hey what's going on?" He was alarmed and I took a minute pull myself together.

"My mom's car broke down, she called her boyfriend to help her, they drove home together, and I found out this morning, when I got close to him, he sniffed the air, like that scent thing you did to find me and I ran." I explained and I could see the worry on his face.

The windows came down and he sniffed the air, his eyes turned pitch black then normal. "He's definitely a wolf, rogue, when did your mom meet this guy?" He asks and I totally didn't know.

"She only said a while ago, which that may mean any time, I'm worried about her, she's dating a rogue wolf, I doubt she even knows about wolves." I was now extremely worried about my mom, what if she got hurt.

"Don't worry babe I'm here, I already told my dad to check the guy out and he's sent trackers and warriors to do the job, your mom is gonna be safe." He hugged me though in an uncomfortable position I welcomed it.

"I love you and you'll always be safe with me, now let's get to school." I nod and he takes his smoothie. "This is good stuff." I chuckle as he pulls out onto the street and sped off toward school.

Honestly, I trusted Emric to do the best he can, this was a wolf problem and who better to handle it than my boyfriend who was the future alpha of the pack that resided near us.

Now more than ever I was glad I lived in pack territory, somehow that made me feel safe, knowing someone would be watching out for you and if ever I would get the chance, I would make the best food I could to just say thank you to them.

Or treat their wounds if they were to get hurt, whichever it was, it would be my best thank you. "Switch with me." I asked Emric. "Switch what?" I point to his hoodie.

"This doesn't smell like you anymore, so switch, chop chop." He rolled his eyes and relinquished his hoodie too me. "Would you like my tee shirt too?" I snort and pull on the hoodie. I sigh in content, it smelled like him.

We climb out of his car and I spot Train walking toward us, he looked a lot better than when he came to my house crying. "Hey Train, how are you?" He hugs me which doesn't go well with Em.

"He's my friend too, chill munchie." I pull back from the hug and kick Train in the shin, of course he doesn't feel it. "I call him that, no one else, babe hurt him for me." Em grins coming toward us.

"Don't you dare Em." He warned. "He's the boss of me, can't disobey." My boyfriend kicks him and I felt happy when he felt it. "Now you know, munchie is mine alone." He takes the smoothie from me and downed it.

"Now I know why you're always drinking this stuff." He exclaimed with a smile. Some guys whom I now knew were obviously from the pack came and occupied Emric, I couldn't take my bag from him so I just walked ahead without it.

"So you coming to our birthday party tomorrow?" I obviously was coming but I had shopping to do. "Yes, I could never forget but I need to go shopping, can you like drive me to town center and village  once school is finished, I need to but a few things." He nods.

"Great thank you." I knew about their birthday and I was dreading the day, we may be acting all happy and foolishly in love but tomorrow they turn eighteen and find mates, will Emric be mine.

I still had to buy presents and the village was the best place to buy them, it was a good thing St Maine was becoming a city, more shops. Retail therapy for me and my frail nerves.

+++

For those who've read my book Loving the Boss, it's the same North City Linden was talking about.

LMJ