concerned for her

After the class, kuhu took mishti to ground in order to speak to her. Mishti was sitting idle looking at the boys playing in the ground.
Kuhu : mishti.... Tu teek hai na.?
Mishti didn't respond. Kuhu's eyes got wet and she hugged mishti immediately. Kuhu know the pain that mishti is going through. Mishti has always tried to be strong. And kuhu couldn't see her best friend so vulnerable, due to someone else's mistake. Kuhu started rubbing mishti's back, saying, "mishti, tu chinta mat kar... Sab teek ho jaayega... Me apni mamma papa se baat karti hu, then I will take you to my home.... ".

Mishti broke down hugging back kuhu. She was finding it difficult to breath. Kuhu made mishti to sleep on her lap and caressed her head, "Tu meri #brave friend hai mishti... Mujhe pata hai ki tu in sabse deal karlegi".

Abir and kunal who were going towards the parking lot, stopped when they saw kuhu and mishti. Mishti was crying and kuhu was caressing her head. Kunal and abir looked at each other, not understanding anything. Then they left from there. While driving kunal's bike, abir's mind was thinking about mishti, "why she was crying?.... Humesha angry bird banke ghoomti thi... Lekin aaj kya ho gaya?.... Kal kuhu se poochunga". Kunal dropped abir at his home and left.

First time in his entire school life, abir was constantly thinking about a girl and that too about his rival mishti. Mishti doesn't mingle with anyone. She speaks only when it is needed and that too, no nonsense. Mishti doesn't share her personal matter with anyone except kuhu. So, abir can't ask about her with anyone.. Only kuhu is the option.

Here, kuhu called her father and asked him for the permission to take mishti to her home, as mishti doesn't have any place to live now. Since her parents are relatives of mishti's step-mom, they were not ready to face any issues. So, they refused kuhu's request. Kuhu went and stood in front of mishti, head facing down, "sorry mishti.... "

Mishti understood what kuhu would say now, "it's ok kuhu... You can't do anything... You can't go against your parents, I understand.... Don't worry, I have few days to find a place for myself... I will do something".

Kuhu was so sad that she wanted to fight with her parents. Mishti observed kuhu, "Tu ab jaake apni parents se mere liye lado mat... Tu mere liye sochti hai, wohi kaafi hai... I am happy that atleast i have a friend with whom I can share my pain".

"Ha... Ek aisa friend jo tumhari dard samajti hai, lekin karti kuch nahi", kuhu turned other side.

Mishti held kuhu's shoulders, "mujhe bass itna pata hai ki meri friend the best hai".

Kuhu hugged mishti immediately, still tears flowing from both their eyes.

Mishti reached the outdoor house, stayed there, doing her study.

Next day, in the classroom, kuhu was sitting alone, waiting for mishti.
Kunal and abir entered the class. Kunal smiled at kuhu, to which she reciprocated. He has been doing this since class 5. Kunal doesn't have the courage to speak to her, because he feels like he will melt when she looks at him. Abir chuckled at kunal's expression. Kunal took his seat in back bench.
Abir went and sat next to kuhu. Kuhu was a bit surprised, "excuse me... It's my friend's seat".

Abir wanted to initiate the convo, "kaha likha hai?".

Kuhu frowned, "kahi pe likha nahi hai... Lekin, tum yaha kyu aaye ho?... Jaake apne jagah pe baito.... Waise bhi humare school itna bhi aage nahi gaya hai ki ek ladka aur ek ladki ko ek saath baita jaaye".

Abir was getting angry at her reply, but he pacified himself as he wanted to extract information about mishti, "teek hai....me chala jaaunga when teacher comes".
Then silient prevailed there, and kuhu still waiting for mishti.

Abir softened a bit,
A : kuhu, ek baat poochna tha tumse.
Kuhu : kya?
A : kal woh angry bird kyu ro rahi thi?
Kuhu : kaun angry bird?
A : arey wohi teri friend, kal ground me ro rahi thi na?
Kuhu : wo.... Wo.... Tumhe kyu jaan na hai?
A : bas aise hi..
Kuhu : wo.....uske ghar me kuch problem ho gaya tha.
A : kaisa problem?
By then mishti came,
M : tumse matlab?.... Apna kaam se kaam rakho na.... Tumhara trik yaha nahi chalega.... Just leave from my place.
A : balaayi ka zamaana hi nahi raha.
M : tumse kaun poocha ki meri balaayi karo.... Waise bhi tumhara pichle baar ka help me abhi tak booli nahi hu.
A : kaunsa?
M : first leave from here....

One incident created the permanent rift between abir and mishti.

******************************

Flashback :
Three years back, Mishti was new to school and was a bit shy.
Abir was a play boy in the school.... Due to his good look, girls used to do whatever he said. When mishti entered her new school, on the first day, she was made run the entire school 3 rounds... Abir told her that he would help her to ascape from ragging...but, he was the mastermind behind the idea.... While running, mishti was crying due to her menstrual pain.... But abir was busy in ragging her. And that day she decided that she would never forgive abir and she would take revenge on him.

******************************

After the school, mishti usually work part time in a small bakery by name "smily bake"... She loves to bake different sweets and cakes. Earnings from the bakery has made her independent, as she always hated to beg for money in front of his father. So, she has been doing the part time job since last 2 years. "Smily bake" is run by one of her old friend's brother shivaay.

Today, after the class, she went to the bakery... Shivaay saw mishti sad and asked her. But, she wasn't ready to share anything. Though shivaay has become her good friend, still she wants to keep those matters, that make her look vulnerable, to herself. So she said that she was not feeling well and she took off for 2 days. Then she took kuhu with her and started searching for a hostel. After so many places, they ended up getting admission in a girl's hostel, which was nearby to her school. The very next day, she shifted her luggage to the hostel and started staying there. Days went like this - in school till evening, and then the bakery. Life has became monotonous and mishti has become a machine.... No time for feelings, no time for flirting like other girls, and no time for anything except her studies. Two months passed in this way... Slowly mishti has adapted herself to the new life.... And kuhu was with her in this.

It was a Saturday. Abir and kunal were coming back from a movie. Kunal was feeling so hungry.. As it was already 10.00pm , most of the shops were closed. Kunal badly wanted something to eat. He found only a single shop open.
K : chalo abir... Kuch khate hai.
A : yaha pe?... No way... Yeh bakery ka halat dekha hai tumne... Kitna old one hai yeh.
K : mujhe bhuk lag rahi hai and I am going inside... Tumhe aana hai tho aaja.
Kunal went inside... Abir also followed him, as he can't let his friend alone.

They went and sat in a table and called the waiter. Mishti had the night shift, as tomorrow is Sunday. She came running, without looking at the customer, she asked, "yes sir...what can I get for you? ".
Hearing her voice, abir raised his head and was shocked to see mishti there and that too, late night.
A : tum?
M : tum.... Yaha?
A : tum yaha kya kar rahi ho?
M : me yaha kaam karti hu.
Abir became suspicious, because he had heard people in the school saying that mishti is a daughter of a big architect.
A : tum yaha kaam karti ho?
Mishti was annoyed at him,
M : ji ha... orders please.
Kunal knows mishti as his classmate and she had helped him with notes many times.
K : mishti, get me some snacks.. I am feeling so hungry.
M : ok kunal.... Tumhe kya leke aana hai?
A : coffee...
M : ok..

After mishti went to bring the orders,
A : yaar kunal, mujhe kuch bhi samaj me nahi aa raha hai.
K : kya?
A : yeh tho rich hai na?... Tho yaha kyu kaam kar rahi hai?
K : Mujhe kya pata.
A : uss din kuhu almost bataane wali thi.. Lekin yeh angry bird beech me aa gayi.
K : tum iske baare me itna kyu soch raha hai?
A : kuch nahi... Chodo...

Mishti came with sandwich and some sweets and served abir and kunal. Abir was curious to know what is happening with mishti... But, mishti doesn't want to reveal anything. By then, shivaay came there.
S : hello guys, enjoy the snacks.
Abir and kunal just smiled at him. Shivaay is a jovial person who wants to keep his surrounding light. So, he smiles always, even to stranger.

They paid the bill and were about to leave.
A : kunal.. Sunna.
K : ha bol.
A : Tu poochna usse.. Aisa kya hua hai ki woh iss time pe bhi kaam kar rahi hai.
Though kunal knew that she won't say anything, he tried only to satisfy abir.
Kunal called mishti outside and abir pretended to be talking over the phone.
K : mishti.
M : ha kunal... Bolo.
K : mishti, kuch hua hai kya?... I mean financial problem?... If anything like that means, please share with me... I can help you out.
M : thanks kunal.... But, nothing serious.. I can manage.
Abir who was listening to her, sighed, as he sensed that she was lying.
K : lekin, iss time pe kaam karna... It's not safe mishti...
M : it's ok kunal.... I am used to it and I love my job.... Waise bhi shivaay hai na, he is a good friend of mine... I hope kuch bhi galat nahi hoga
K : ok... As you wish... Just stay safe... If anything, please call me... This is my number.
Kunal handed her a number and he left along with abir.

Hola fam, how was it? 😊