It was ballsy, making that promise...

Adora's inner panic intensified the closer to the war room the crowd got. She had promised Queen Angella would be back by this time next week, a promise she wasn't actually sure she could keep. She found herself falling to the back of the crowd, blending in with the princesses. Without thinking she parted from the group by slipping into a nearby corridor and entering a washroom on the right side of the hall. She ran into the bathroom and looked herself in mirror.
"I can't do this," she said gasped painfully. She remembered why the queen was there in the first place, she had taken Adora's place. And truthfully Adora feared that saving the Queen meant her sacrifice. She felt herself get hot and she fanned desperately with her hands. She fell to the floor, trying to steady her painful breathing.
"Adora? Adora!"  Adroa tried to reply but the words wouldn't come. "Adora where- oh my god!" Catra exclaimed, running to the floor beside her girlfriend. "Adora breathe, okay just look at me. Focus on me." Adora did as Catra said, focusing on her, concern visible in her heterochromatic eyes. Then she looked at Catra's ears that flicked back with surprise. And her lips, that said words that comforted her. Catra moved so she was behind Adora and she sat against the wall, Adora laid back in her lap. Catra stroked her forehead and ran her nails through the blondes hair. When Adora calmed down Catra kissed her on the forehead.
"You want to talk about it?" Catra asked.
"It's just... I'm scared."
"It was ballsy making that promise-"
"Not just the promise. I'm worried that I-"
"That you what?"
"That I just volunteered myself as a sacrifice again." Catra sighed and brought her hands to cup Adora's face.
"No you didn't. They're looking for other methods."
"And if they don't find it?"
"We don't do the mission." Adora sat up to face Catra, who looked at her with hurt in her eyes.
"But I-"
"No Adora. I won't let you."
"Catra..."
"No! I told you before Adora, I have nothing without you. You're everything to me and I won't let you die." Adora looked at her, a sad smile forming on her face.
"I won't let me die either." She pulled Catra into a soft kiss before standing up and offering her hand.
"Let's get to that meeting, it seems there's some things we need to clear up," Catra said, a small smile creeping to the corners of her mouth.
"Okay." Adora said, allowing Catra to grip her hand, causing her to blush.

They walked in silence for most of the way, the noise from the war room was enough to fill the lack of conversation. They stopped outside the door and turned to face each other.
"We need to talk about what happened in the bathroom," Catra said.
"What do you mean?"
"Adora I found you on the floor, hyperventilating and flushed."
"It was nothing I was just panicking that's all."
"I wish I believed you, but I don't so we're going to talk about it. After you deal with this." Catra pushed open the doors and the volunteers stopped to stare at them. A furious Glimmer's gaze the most daunting of all.
"Nice of you to join us," Glimmer said sarcastically. "I could use some help here." Adora shrugged sheepishly and Catra urged her to go forward and join Glimmer on the table. Catra watched as Glimmer and Adora drummed up a game plan, with Bow occasionally chipping in to inform them of a technicality. Catra was about to speak up a few times, but typically one of the more extroverted princesses asked her question before she could. So she stood and watched as Adora feigned confidence, wondering if Adora had really listened to her in the hall and bathroom.

"I won't let me die either," Adora's words echoed in her mind. Normally Catra would have been comforted by that, but considering the other promises Adora had made in the last few days Catra found herself biting her nails hoping that this would be one Adora would keep.
"I have nothing without you." Her own words, which tragically, were true.