Distractions

Strange peered over the menu at a smiling Skylar. He watched her curiously scroll through her phone and her smile widening by the second. 

"Sky, do you know what you're going to eat and please don't say mango sticky rice," Strange said. Skylar laughed into her phone and shrugged. 

"I'm not sure," she said. Her phone pinged and Skylar tossed her head back in a roar of laughter. 

"Who are you texting?" Strange asked raising an eyebrow.  Skylar finally tore away from her phone and placed it on the table. Skylar looked up at Strange who crossed his eyes. 

"What are you doing," she chuckled picking up her menu. Her eyes scanned over the lumpy, torn, plastic covered menu that she's held at least a dozen times. 

"I'll have the vegetable spring rolls and papaya salad."

"Really, I expected a protest against not ordering the mango sticky rice," Strange said surprised. Skylar hummed and rapped her nails on the table. 

"I'm changing," Skylar smiled. Strange nodded his head and wondered if it had to do with who she was on the phone with. 

"That's good... I heard what happened at school today," Strange blurted out. Skylars heart skipped a beat and her cheeks darkened. She breathed in and out but the more she did it the more it seemed like she was briefly sucking on air. 

"What did you hear?" Skylar gasped. Strange leaned across the table and held the menu up so no one across the room could read his lips. 

"You beating up that boy," Strange whispered, "I thought we talked about fighting and using your powers."

"It's not like I phased through the bleachers to get away from him. I mean I should have what idiot would ask for a kiss--"

"He did what?" Strange shouted. Everyone in the restaurant turned to face the pair. Skylar jumped in her seat. Skylar looked to her feet and twiddled her fingers. Strange reached over and grabbed her hand gently. Skylar looked up.

"What happened?" Strange asked gently. Skylar told him everything and as she did Strange's face remained unchanged. 

"Are you mad at me?" Skylar cried. Seeing his face made her tremble. Was she in trouble

"Skylar I--" shattering glass interrupted Strange and the restaurant erupted into screams. Skylar stood up immediately followed by Strange. Fire engulfed one table at the front.

"It was molotov cocktail!" someone screeched. Looking around Skylar spotted a hooded figure standing outside of the store. 

"Go outside! I'm going to try and help get everyone out!" Strange activated a portal to move everyone outside of the building. Skylar nodded and jumped through. As she stumbled onto the side walk she noticed the hooded figure standing by the alley way. She pushed by the restaurant employees and customers. The hooded figure quickly turned and walked down the alley. 

"What are you up to?" Skylar muttered to herself following behind them. The alley way was damp and smelled of rotten food. The figure stopped at the end of the alley. They had two openings to go through;  one to the left and one to the right. Skylar caught up to them and saw them flash before her eyes before she collided into a brick wall. Her body fell from the foundation smacking into the damp ground. 

"What?" Skylar was picked up and dragged deeper into the alley to the left. 

"You should pay for your father's crimes. Daughter of Thanos," The figure whispered into her ear. Skylar grabbed their arm but her hand was knocked away. A knife pressed against her throat and Skylar stared up at the dark sky. Skylar closed her eyes feeling the blade press harder making her gasp. Skylar snapped her eyes back open when she sensed something falling from above. Spider-Man swooped down over her knocking the figure back. 

"Sk--I mean, ma'am are you ok?" Spider-Man asked. Skylar rubbed her neck and felt the tears trickling down her face. She stood watching Spider-Man knock the figure out and throwing them into a garbage can. 

"Yes, thank-- ahhh!" Skylar felt something sharp pierce through her abdomen and leave as quick as it came. Her blue blood splattered on the ground and Skylar stumbled into a wall falling into the other side.  Skylar fell onto a cool tiled floor gripping her abdomen. 

"Strange!" Skylar whimpered clutching her stomach, "Strange."

Stop feeling sorry for yourself Skylar. Get up. Get up! Skylar pulled herself up from the floor groaning as her open wound burned. She stood up and her head smacked into a medal pole. As she fell to the floor, her vision darkened before she finally closed her eyes.