Chapter 2 - In The Light

Hina POV

Making my way through the Fire Nation Capital, I smile at the buzzing streets. Feeling a sense of warmth being back home, I keep my face low to skip the formalities. Making it to the palace gate, the guards stare at me suspiciously. Showing my face a bit, they give me a bright smile before allowing me to enter. Walking down the familiar path, I walk up the many stairs; seeing a familiar figure, I pick up the pace.

"Big Brother!"

Pulling him into a big hug, he does the same, giving me a tired smile. Examining his face, I pull on his ear, making him sweat nervously. 

"When's the last time you went to sleep?"

He sweats nervously, "Last n-night."

I pull a bit more, "Don't lie to me."

"Ok, I've been having trouble sleeping; it's been a couple of days."

Letting his ear go, I give him a soft smile; going into my bag, I pull out a small pouch of herbs. Placing it in his hand, I pat his shoulder a bit, "Drink this once a night before going to sleep; this should help you. You know I don't like seeing you so sleepy; it worries me."

He gives me a thankful smile, "Thank you, come one, the others are waiting for us."

Following him, we walk into the throne room; seeing Mom and Gran, I smile. Noticing my presence, Gran smiles at me, rushing her long while curls bounce a bit. Pulling us into a big hug, she squeezes us tightly. 

"Oh, I've missed you two so much."

She lets us go, "Look how tall you've gotten, have you too been eating enough? Iroh, why do you look so sleepy, don't make me see your supervisors? I'll burn them to a crisp if they're overworking you! And Hina, I heard about the White Dragon, are you injured? Should we head to the clinic before we start training! You two keep making my poor heartbreak."

Iroh and I try to calm her down; he smiles down at her, "It's ok Gran, Hina just gave me some herbs to help me sleep."

I nod, "Yeah, and I was super careful. You know life is like a-a flower! Yes, a flower, sometimes you have to let it grow!"

She looks at me for a moment, realizing that made no sense; she starts to laugh, "You two are just like your grandfather. Now come you two, it's time to start your training."

Turning around, we watch as she gives Mom a soft kiss on the forehead before leading us to the Spirit Sanctuary. Once entering, I take a deep breath, enjoying the smell of the fresh flowers. Sitting in front of the pond next to Iroh, we sit in a lotus position while Gran stands on the other side of the pond. 

"Now, before we start, let's review before we release the chakra and awaken ourselves. You two are apart of my blood, blood born in the Spirit World. The women in the family having stronger ties to the world. Leaving us the ability to see the other side, bring other spirits from the other side, and be the second bridge between this world and the next. 

The men gain great strength, spiritual favor, and luck. Destined to see spirits freely with ease and use their guidance and power to protect themselves, others, and their own. Iroh, you have seen spirits wandering around, but from your letter's it has recently come to a halt. This is most likely resulting in your lack of sleep; a nice clean up to your chakras will help with further training.

Hina, while your chakra is a bit foggy, you've been having trouble contacting the other side. While you can see spirits, your goal is to become more intuned with the spirit world, much like how you are with the human. Now let's begin."

As she goes over the seven chakras, she allows us to visualize each once. Slowly easing out the tension in our body with her words like water in a stream. Taking several deep breaths, my body feels lighter as my shoulders relax from her soothing voice. 

"Open your eyes."

Doing so, the first thing I see is a warm smile from Gran. Seeing a tray with three cups, she walks over to us. "Would you like some tea?"

Iroh and I smile softly, taking a cup of tea, I drink the warm drink. Chating with the two for a bit, Iroh gives his farewell. Promising to see him again, Gran and I continue our training. Closing my eyes, Gran coaches me through the transition. 

"Ok, let's go to a commonplace, a place we went when you were a little girl. Imagine the sky, a strong orange that seems to be slowly shifting to a majestic blue after meeting its lilac center. The clouds, like a soft pillow, large, puffy, and dignified. They blend in with the sky from afar but up close, you can feel the touch in your hand; it feels like you're in a different world. Think about this; take your time, and recreate the world around you."

Doing as she says, I slowly open my eyes, seeing her stand in front of me; she holds her hand out. Holding it, she helps me up, "You did well, much better than last time. Once you master leaving the physical world, you'll be able to do this."

Her hand still in mine, she closes her eyes as the world around us changes. Over and over, we appear in different locations, a beach, a pond with blooming lotuses, and finally a tall mountain. She opens her eyes, "You won't even break a sweat."

"Gran, why did you come to this world. The physical world, I mean."

A smile creeps on her face, "Well, I came to make sure your Grandfather followed the right path, so he wouldn't repeat history, so he'll be in the light. Along the way, I fell in love with him, and we never looked back. I'm glad I did too, if I didn't, I wouldn't have had your mother, and she wouldn't have had your brother or you. Now come, I want to show you something."