Chapter 18 - Festival

(Don't own picture below)

Hina POV

With the portals open, Wan can finally be seen by others. Everyone was shocked expression when they saw me napping on Wan's shoulder was hilarious. After a long story and a new age of peace, Wan and I have grown closer than before. Heading back home, mom wanted the whole family to be there. Walking up the stairs with Wan by my side, a smile remains on his calm features. Heading to the throne room, I'm greeting the soldiers and court men and women who walk by. 

Finally making it there I see, Iroh, mom, Gran, and Gramps all chatting away. I smile, rubbing the back of my neck, "Sorry we're late."

Iroh turns and smiles at us, "No, you're just on time."

He walks over to me, pulling me in a warm hug, "Good to see you're safe, Hina."

Giving him a smile and nod, I greet the others pulling Gramps and Gran into a warm hug. I turn to do the same to mom as she steps off her throne to smile at her daughter. "So what's up?"

"I don't know, ask Gran."

Looking at her, she smiles at us warmly, "We're taking a trip to the spirit world to see some family. We've been stressed lately, so I think it's best if we go on a little vacation, it won't be long, only for a day or two. Ro? Druk?"

Two large dragons make their appearance, smiling at them; Ro wraps around me, making me smile as I pet his cheek. Druk does the same as he nuzzles into my stomach, making me chuckle, "It's been too long; I think a family trip is much needed."

Wan cheers his throat, "Are you sure I should come?"

Mom speaks up, "You're just as much as a family as the rest of us, especially since you've been keeping an eye on Hina." He blushes a bit and smiles; splitting into two, we ride on the dragons making our way through the clouds. Gran stands on Ro taking a deep breath, releasing her white flames there start to circle around each other, creating a portal to the spirit world. "I learned some new tricks with the portals open, so hang on tight!"

Closing her eyes, she opens them as they glow a pure white with oranges tips. Creating a circle of fire in front of us, it remains in the sky. Ro and Druk fly through the flat circle of fire; going through it, I close my eyes, feeling a light warmth. I open them only to find myself in the spirit world.  

Smiling, I look down at the animals and creatures, the colored sky. Breathing in the fresh air, I smile, laughing at the feeling of the little spirits rubbing against my cheek. Seeing the village, I bounce a bit; Wan places his hand on my waist, making me jump a bit. 

"Don't jump too high, don't want you to fall off."

I turn to smile at him, two small balls of fire-flies in between us. Looking over, we see Iroh and Granpa giving Wan a death stare. Chuckling a bit as Wan sweats nervously, I notice the village from the corner of my eye. 

Seeing the smiling people landing around the village, Ro and Druk lay beside each other peacefully as we get off their backs. Walking through the village, they greet us, chatting with Gran along the way. She's always been fairly popular, even with her status as the former Cheif's daughter. Walking into the large hut in the center, we open it to see the large dinner table get set for us. 

Gran rushes over to her brother, engulfing him in a warm hug. As Dimas and Alba make their own appearance, they greet the family as well. A familiar voice speaks up from behind them, "It's good to see you again."

Gramps freezes, looking at Iroh senior, this time not in the sanctuary but in person. His eyes grow a bit teary, but he pushes them back as he gives him a hug. Seeing the rest of us, he smiles, sharing his affection around. Squeezing Wan a little too tight, he pats his back, giving him a warm smile. 

Catching up with the family, as night falls, we feast on different foods provided by this world with the warmth of family sitting in the air. Spending the night the next day, the Village prepares for the Grand Tree Festival to celebrate the tree's wisdom and the connection between all the villages. Every year, each village celebrates it, visiting different ones to join and rejoice in our unity and strength that binds us as one. 

Seeing the decorations, games, and stands getting set up, the Mom, Gran, Alba get fitted for our festival wear while the guys help around and something for themselves. Spending the day together, I slip on my kimono, smiling at the printed design, at the black tree roots edged on the lower back. The gold and black collar contrasting with the white skilled against my skin. 

Smiling in the mirror, I look behind me to see Gran with watery eyes

Smiling in the mirror, I look behind me to see Gran with watery eyes. Walking over to me, she speaks up, "You look beautiful, but your missing one thing."

Taking off her choker, she reaches up and clips it around my neck. I gasp, "But Gran!"

She places her hand on my cheek, "Hina, you need it now the same way I needed it back then. I've grown powerful, but you have so much more room to grow, and this necklace, this crystal, will help you with that. The same way it was able to keep the ones I love together, it will do the same for you."

The white crystal begins to glow, warming up as its pure color grows a golden hue. Placing the tip of my fingers on it, I smile, "I'll keep it safe."

Nodding, she guides me out of the small room, leading us to the front door. Freezing, I find Wan; our eyes meet as a warm blush forms on his face. Gran chuckles before leaving us alone in the open room. Walking closer to him, I can't help but feel my heart rate speed up and my cheek heat. 

"You look amazing."

I chuckle at his dazed expression, "Thank you."

Holding out his hand, I gladly take it, holding it gently as he leads us out of the home and down the stairs with the rest of the family. Enjoying the festivities, we eat the delectable pastry, watch the daring performances, and laugh until the light of the night sky. 

As the festival comes to an end, Mom hands me a white flower leading me in front of the crafted replica of the Grand Tree in front of the crowd. Stepping forward with her, Gran, and Alba, I copy them as they ignite the middle with their own colored flame. Gran's white as snow, Alba's black as the shadows, Mom orange as flames of our kingdom, and mine as gold as the sun. 

Stepping forward with them, we place our flowers in front of the fake tree, watching as our calming flames light the ends, making it glow our harmonic colors. The crowd cheers and dances around it; Wan pulls me in, making me laugh as the world around is surrounded with nothing but light and happiness.