M E I L U N A

꧁ prologue ꧂the princess of the northern water tribe

prologue
the princess of the northern water tribe

✧₊⁎⁎⁺˳✧༚˚✧₊⁎⁎⁺˳✧༚˚✧₊⁎⁎⁺˳✧༚˚✧₊⁎⁎⁺˳✧༚˚✧₊⁎⁎⁺˳✧༚

"MEILUNA, PLEASE TRY"

Meiluna stood before her father and her sister, who had gathered around the bed her mother lay in. She felt her hands tremble, tears threatening to spill from her eyes.

Three months ago, on this day, Meiluna's mother had fallen ill.

Of course, it didn't seem so bad back then.

Meiluna's father had exhausted every healer in the entire Northern Water Tribe, and not a single one could help.

"I don't- I can't-" Meiluna shook her head.

"Please" Yue stepped forward, placing her hands on Meiluna's shoulders.

The Ocean Spirit had gifted her with her healing talents. After her older sister, Yue, had been touched by the Tui, the Moon Spirit, La had realised that she couldn't live without her counterpart in the human world by her side.

From the day Meiluna was born, she had a part of the Ocean Spirit living inside of her.

Her healing abilities, as a result, surpassed those of any healer she had ever encountered. Her ability to rejuvenate the life within people, flora and fauna alike had been unmatched as she could seamlessly restore health with the touch of her hand.

Meiluna was confident in her abilities. And for good reason.

Standing in the deafening silence of the room, with the occasional interruption of her sickly mother's coughs, certainly was enough for that confidence to waver.

"What if it doesn't work?"

No one answered her question.

She didn't particularly feel like hearing the answer anyway.

She walked up to the bed quietly, dipping her hands into the small bowl of water on the nearby table. She took a deep breath, gently moving her shaky hands on to the sides of her mother's head. Meiluna closed her eyes in concentration when she felt the water soak through her mother's hair.

Her eyes snapped open,

"Mother?"

She used one hand to lightly touch her mother's cheek.

"Mother, wake up" Meiluna heard her own voice crack, "Don't leave"

Her mother remained still, her eyes completely shut.

Meiluna fell silently to her knees, tightly gripping her mother's hand,

"Mommy, please"