16. sick

THIRD POV

"AchOo!"

Y/n frowned as she eyed Atsumu who sniffled and took the tissue Kita had given him. Their captain– you can't tell if he was lecturing the omelette head with his stoic gaze, or secretly and silently worrying about him.

He sighed deeply, "L/n, please take care of me."

"?" She was about to agree nonetheless but Kita stopped him.

The captain suddenly took out medicines and snacks (specifically pickled plums) as if he knew this was bound to happen. He gently placed it in front of Atsumu who just looked away with eyes tightly shut.

"Get 'em ninjas away, I hate it when they cut onions," He gritted his teeth.

Kita sighed and relieved his fingers through cracking it, "Atsumu. You need to go home and rest well, you can't practice today."

"But–," He tried to object.

Y/n held both his hands with a blank stare, "Miya, get rest. Okay? It's my fault you're sick– I made you take Bokuto-san to their hotel not knowing he has a fever. Please listen just this once. I'll take care of your brother's performance."

"But you should be taking care of me," He pouted and tightened his grip on her hands.

She sighed lightly, "Miya....."

"Well??" He pleaded.

Kita was about to interrupt when Y/n flashed Atsumu a genuine smile. It was not too wide, not too small. Not that meaningful, but not that blank.

Atsumu felt himself get hotter, and his heart was tugged by her comfort. Her smile made him feel strange sensations he had never felt before. He almost believed another smile from hers can cure his fever.

"Me and 'Samu will cook for you after practice. We'll play games when we visit you at home. So rest, okay?" She let go and poked his red dusted cheek.

He straightened up with watery eyes as he tried hard not to cry, "Thank you."

Osamu scoffed and walked to them, a hand on hip, "He may have shit personality but look at him. Being vulnerable and get emotional like a baby."

"Shut yer mouth 'Samu! I'm emotional when I'm sick– and I'm not a baby! I'm the older twin, ya know!" Atsumu exclaimed and shot him a frustrated stare.

Suna cringed and fake gagged, "Ew, cringe."

"Suna," Kita warned him.

Inarizaki just sighed as they watched them comfort (and insult) their setter.

Atsumu wore a frown as Kita guided him to rest on a bench while waiting for his mom to pick him up– the captain called mama Miya. The members are starting spiking drills but there was no setter that could toss for them. They all felt disappointed and Y/n can see the frustration in their sick setter's eyes.

"Coach. Please take this for a while," Y/n whispered to the coach and gave him the clipboard. He was confused but nodded and took it anyway.

The players raised a brow when Y/n approached the side of the net with a ball in hand. She was silently examining it before glancing at Kita. He understood her– he was confused, but did what she's letting out anyway.

Alright. Just do it like how Miya does. She released a small sigh and let the ball float in the air.

Kita ran and jumped for the ball, Y/n had slightly jumped and tossed it with 3 fingers each hand. The pointer finger, middle finger, and thumb.