Epilogue I

Epilogue (Part 1 of 2)

I didn't notice her at first.

It wasn't really a big deal―I hardly notice anyone. As my brother Khail used to tell me: "Parang 'yong mga libro mo pa 'yong balak mong pakasalanan eh. Ano 'yong magiging mga anak niyo? Notebooks?"

So when Nerwis and Lensha introduced her to me, I found myself uninterested. 

"Hi!" she greeted rather enthusiastically.

I turned to face the two. "Who is she?" I asked.

"Heaven," Lensha answered. "She wants to give you something."

"No thanks." Was my immediate answer. It was like I was programmed to say those words every time someone attempts to give me something.

It was one of the few rules of being a de la Cerda.

Never accept anything from just anyone.

I was about to resume reading when the same stranger spoke again.

"I brought all kinds of almond," she said, smiling.

I eyed the almond chocolate bar she was holding before eyeing the paper bag. I raised my head to look at her.

"No thanks," I repeated.

I'm not into almond anyway.

"Grabe naman man, pinaghirapan niya 'yan bilhin. Balita ko galing ibang bansa pa nga iyan eh." Nerwis said.

"So? I didn't ask her to do that," I said, unfazed by his words.

I looked at Heather and saw her frowning. But then she smiled again.

Creepy.

"You didn't ask me because I willingly got you these," she said in a gentle voice. "So please? Tanggapin mo na?" she added, batting her eyelashes.

It looked like her eyes were having a seizure.

"No." I answered.

"Please?"

"No."

"Pretty please?"

"Still no."

"Pretty please with a cherry on top?"

My lips twitched into a frown. "I said no."

Why is she so persistent?

"Fine!" She irritatingly said. She placed the paper bag down before opening the almond chocolate bar she was holding. She gave me a sarcastic smile before biting into the chocolate, maintaining eye contact with me.

My frown deepened and I avoided eye contact.

She's really creepy, alright.

When the bell rang, she left, leaving the paper bag behind. I think it was intentional.

Not my problem.

I stood up and was about to leave when Lensha held my arm.

"Hindi mo ba dadalhin iyong paper bag?" she asked, giving me a look.

I frowned. "Why would I?"

"Bigay sa'yo, bro," Nerwis interjected. "Sayang naman effort no'ng tao."

"So?"

"Pota, heartless," Nerwis replied, laughing.

Lensha clicked her tongue in annoyance. She grabbed the paper bag and handed it to me. I had no choice but to accept it; her glares were threatening me.